AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Looking for advice on a new TV

847 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  sandwichtime
Hey guys,

I’m new here and was wondering what would be the best tv for me. Plasma or LCD and which model would be good. I’ve read some reviews and have done some research and would like to keep it under $2500. I like the Plasmas and LCDs for their mobility, as this will not stay in one place all the time (explained later in post). If there is another technology that fits my needs better, I am flexible in that regard. The size is also something I am flexible on but I would probably want it to be at least 37 in.

Here are my viewing habits/needs:

1. Games, I plan on getting a PS3 or 360 in the future and gaming will be a big part of what I do with the TV.

2. I would like to hook up my computer to it at times, mostly just to use the computer on a big tv :) .

3. HD obviously, but more importantly SD. I need the normal programming to be good as that is what I will most often be watching. The HD channels are great, but the meat of the channels I will have will be SD so I need it to look good.

4. There will be 2 different places I will be having this.

First my bedroom, which is 6-8 feet distance from TV, 2 windows and low light. The room is probably 12x9 or something like that; I’ll get exact measurements tomorrow.

Second is a bedroom in an apartment next fall, which I have no clue about it being set up. Probably one window, but I can’t know for sure, maybe no windows.

5. These are the things I will be hooking into it from time to time, that I know of. Game system, laptop, surround sound system, dvdplayer, and tivo or some other thing like it. I think that is it for now.

These are some models I have looked at, but would like more suggestions.

Pioneer PDP-4345HD

Syntax LT42HVI

Samsung LN-R409D

Thanks a lot for reading this, if you can help me great :D
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichtime
Here are my viewing habits/needs:

1. Games, I plan on getting a PS3 or 360 in the future and gaming will be a big part of what I do with the TV.
Some will disagree with me, but you are far less likely to get burn-in on an LCD TV. If you're going to do a lot of gaming (more than 2 hours at a time), you'll want to go with an LCD. Also, for most games, an LCD TV looks much better than most/all plasmas.

Quote:
2. I would like to hook up my computer to it at times, mostly just to use the computer on a big tv :) .
Again, you'll want to go with an LCD. You're just asking for burn-in if you run static PC images on a plasma screen.

Quote:
3. HD obviously, but more importantly SD.
Here you'd want to go with a plasma EDTV (rather than HD). Nothing can match an EDTV for SD television. It actually makes SD look slightly better, whereas both LCD and plasma HDTVs usually make the signal look anywhere from "quite a bit worse" to "totally unwatchable."

Quote:
4. There will be 2 different places I will be having this.

First my bedroom, which is 6-8 feet distance from TV, 2 windows and low light.
At 8 feet I'd go for a 42" plasma EDTV. It should look really good in low light.

But if you're going to run a PC on it and do lots of gaming, I would sacrifice some picture quality and get an LCD HDTV rather than a Plasma EDTV. It will be worth it for your piece of mind, because burn-in is absolutely not a myth. And when it happens it's permanent and not covered by most warranties. If you are only going to do a small amount of gaming and only use your PC a couple times, I'd probably go with a plasma EDTV, because I think the picture is at least 10% better than LCD when watching HDTV and 90% better on SDTV.
See less See more
I don;t think you will find the Pioneer less then 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker
I don;t think you will find the Pioneer less then 2,500
Yea I know I was just kind of giving some examples. I'll look into the Plasmas again. Doesnt the burn-in issue go away after the first 1,000 hours of use?
Here are some of the TVs I've looked at, if there are any duds in here could you guys tell me. Also, I'm new at this, but in the case of the Sharp's what do the last 3 characters mean (such as D6U, or D4U... whats the difference?) :confused:

LCDs

LG DU-37LZ30

PT-43LCX64

Sharp LC37DB5U

Sharp LC-37D6U

Sharp LC-37D4U

Sharp LC-37G4U

Sony KF-42WE610

Sony FWD-32LX1/S

Toshiba 37HL95

Westinghouse LVM-37W1

Plasmas