AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a few months ago I built a pair of dual-JBL boxes. This was my first time having a remotely competent sub woofer system, and I'm very happy with the results...but now I want more.

Here is the response I'm currently getting. I am a total newb at REW/MiniDSP so if something is wrong please let me know.

I would like to add/change my sub woofer setup to:

1. Even out room response
2. Add more mid-bass/chest slam
3. More SPL (of course

Here are some pics of my room to give you an idea of what I'm working with:

A BOSS platform is in the works, possible with the JBLs I already have, but other than that I have no concrete plans. The space on either side of the bookshelf is fair game, as is the space currently occupied by the JBL boxes. There is a null in the center of the couch, so I imagine putting something against the wall is the best bet for evening out response. I don't have a set budget, but I can't go to crazy. Let's try to keep it in the LaVoce, PA460, UMxx range. My wife is onboard with anything as long as the boxes look good, the front stage is symmetrical, and I don't "Fill our room with speakers," so an array of JBLs is out :rolleyes:. Here are some things I'm considering:

1. Dual VBSS box between the bookshelf and the door
2. 18" Devastator in the same place
3. Sealed UM18(s) against the wall or in place of the JBLs
4. Switch out the JBLs with VBSSs

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Since an array is out, then the next-best option is just a pair of the beefiest pro woofers you can afford. Preferably 21's.

In order to get loud you have to displace a lot of air, the only good way to do that is with more/bigger cones and amps; horns and ports only get you so far...

Mid bass is mostly power-limited. Lots of beefy voicecoils x lots of watts, pushing lots of cones.

When you are limited on space, the more expensive\beefier woofers are the best option.
If you have lots of space but little money, than a larger array of PA-460's will out-do it for equal or less money.
There is no free lunch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That definitely focuses my search. So after considering my available space and the total cost of drivers/amplication, I'm seeing 3 courses of action:

1 Beefy 18" in a Dev cabinet
2 Pa460s in dev cabinets
4 Pa460s in dual VBSS cabinets

Which one would bet the best results? Thanks again!

·
Registered
205 Posts
You mentioned a BOSS platform... that will get you the rumble or "feeling" of SPL but obviously won't move a lot of air, which may or may not be a good thing.
Additionally, you could build a "console" for a couple of 21's of your choice that your TV and main speakers would sit on. Conversely, you could also build a "console" to sit against the back of your couch. Good luck with your hunt :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...won't move a lot of air, which may or may not be a good thing.
That actually would be a good thing. I'm in Hawaii so my "walls" are just 3/4" boards. My humble JBLs are already shaking my neighbor's floor (he comes over for movie nights so it's all good :cool: ). It also makes shipping a significant factor, which is why I'm hesitant to go for the 21" monsters and the amps that go with them.

From browsing the BOSS threads, it seems like a "Hover-BOSS" would give me all the tactile response/ULF I could handle. I could move my JBLs under the couch, build some 20hz tuned PA460 cabinets, and have my ISP block this website before I get anymore ideas:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I would stand them JBL`s up directly behind the sofa firing in to yer rump for a trial run.......:D

My 18`s did good where you have yours,.....directly behind my rump turned them in to monsters !

Drop a board on top and a couple of stools, then you have second row bar seating.....;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts