AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics vrs micro rear surround sound speakers like those found here: (they won't let me post a link, but google "Boston Acoustics vrs micro site avguide" and it is the first link to come up)

I have an odd living room layout due to a vaulted ceiling, a fireplace being on the east wall and open hallways on the west and south walls. I am waiting a replacement part for the rears, but while I wait, I am trying to determine the best mounting locations for the new them. I already have cable behind the mounting locations with enough slack to locate them anywhere on the back wall. The mounting brackets are fixed to place the speaker perpendicular against the wall. I have created a layman drawing of the layout of the room as well as included a photo of the wall where these speakers will be mounted. Normally, I wouldn't have an issue, but since these are dipole speakers, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond!

Victor

Visio-Living Room.pdf 21.357421875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I’d say hang then on the wall above the doorway to the breakfast room. However, everything’s going to sound unbalanced with the front of the system off in the corner like that. On top of that, dipoles aren't the best choice of speakers for this room.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Wayne, You see my Wife is in college, and that gives me a budget of, well nothing, and the entire system is made up of bits and pieces that have been donated. All told, everything I have spent so far has added up to about $75.00. So with that in mind, my options are to work with what I have, and be blessed that I have it.

A friend of mine suggested I mount one centered on the south-west wall, and one centered on the south wall both at the same overall height. Interesting suggestion, any thoughts?

Now I have included additional photos to provide a bit more perspective. I have also created a photobucket album for this project, as I can post higher quality images there.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...ter%20Project/

BTW, my headunit is a Yamaha HTR-6130 which will allow me to input the speaker distance as well, not sure if that helps any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also Wayne, very nice home theater setup!!! I'm going to attempt some DIY cabling using Cat6 for the rears, any suggestions on termination of positive/negative within the one cat6 cable? I currently have 2 cables inwall and enough slack to run left and right anywhere I need to.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested I mount one centered on the south-west wall, and one centered on the south wall both at the same overall height. Interesting suggestion, any thoughts?
That might work, but it’s hard to say without actually seeing the room. Basically, the rear speakers need to behind the seating.

That’s a pretty tough room. The only good places for locating the TV and equipment for a proper arrangement (directly and centered in front of the furniture) are either right in front of the window or the fireplace. Personally I’d abandon the fireplace and set up everything in front of it before I’d live with a corner set-up, but I understand not everyone is willing to make that sacrifice. However, corner set-ups can work if they’re done right - this post discusses their problems and options for solutions.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Wayne, but ditching the fireplace is not something I can get the Wife sold on. When I receive my replacement woofer and get these mounted, I'll post back with some photos. Nice reply on that other post as well.

Thank you Wayne, for all your assistance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.