AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been talked about in several threads, I've read lots of them and still can't decide on what I should do. I'm trying to decide what I should use to paint my screen with. Using a HT2050 with a darbee, in a room with full light control. Prefer to roll instead of spray. I watch mainly bluray and play Xbox 1 on the PJ. Pic of the room is below. TIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir. 3/8 nap for smooth finish i suppose. and this will be ok after a few days cure time to roll it back up?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,496 Posts
Oh no....I didn't imagine you were trying to coat a Retractable. :eek::(

I cannot advise nor stand by any advice pertaining to doing that application. Even the most thin of Rolled on coat is many, many microns thicker than a correctly sprayed coat. And that's just "1" coat.

Now you can try it.......but I'd advise against it. Get this "El Cheapo" HVLP w/1 mm Needle and do it right. Otherwise you risk ruining the screen you have.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,496 Posts
Make these slight changes........

1 Quart Flat White (Glidden Diamond @ Home Depot) Tinted to a light, neutral Gray
1 Quart RustOleum White Pearl
24 oz RustOleum or Varathane Matte Polyurethane
16 oz Distilled or Filtered Water (Minimum...additional thinning w/water if necessary to achieve low viscosity)

The above is is lower cost, light controlled option than the SF v2.5 mix featured in my own well known "painted Retractable" example HERE.

Follow the masking / taping instructions shown to create a "In Place" Tent and secure painting platform.

Leave the screen down to dry/cure under good conditions at least 2-3 days before retracting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks. I have an air compressor spray gun that I use, not sure the nozzle size but I can find out.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,496 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I have an air compressor spray gun that I use, not sure the nozzle size but I can find out.
1.5 mm would be the absolute largest to consider using, but 1.0 mm would be perfect.

Be certain you have a good, working Water / Rust Filter.

Fill then pressure Bleed your tank via the Pitcock before you use it, to purge any residual Water...which will be absolutely filthy with Rust.

Ideal pressure settings will be 90 psi at the tank, and 40 psi at the Gun.

I hope your tank has enough capacity. Even doing a Duster requires that the pressure at the Gun remains steady and constant for at least 2 minutes.

Set the Gun's Fluid Feed at 90% open, and the Pressure feed fully open, if your fortunate enough to have a 1.0 mm needle. At 1.5 mm you'll need to reduce those figures by 25%. I really cannot advise you with any real accuracy because determining the quality / quantity / height of the resulting Vertical Fan pattern is something that must be judged in person, based on the Tank / Gun settings combined with the paint's own viscosity.

Man...I'll tell ya sumpthin'...it was exactly all those concerns & variables that I was immensely glad to leave behind once I discovered the blessings of using a Electric HVLP. I used to haul around a 32 Gallon "stand up" 5.5 hp Compressor, 50' of Hose, Water & Rust Filter, and keep everything as perfectly tuned as possible. And even then, depending upon the inherent humidity, I'd still get specks of Rust in the spray...or the dreaded "Fish Eyes"...tiny Water Droplets embedded in the paint.

Perhaps the worst of it all was trying to advise or teach Members how to correctly use the damnable gear itself.

All that went away once I embraced the Electric HVLP Gun scenario, and spraying became both affordable and so easy it was something even a Caveman could do.

I proved that myself. :D (Grunt...)

·
Registered
484 Posts
What make and model of HVLP gun do you recommend? TIA!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,496 Posts
What make and model of HVLP gun do you recommend? TIA!
Well, I myself use a Combination of a Earlex Gun w/1.0 mm needle and a Wagner Control Spray Max Turbine, but I paint screens all the time so I combined the two systems to have a robust set up.

For those looking to get by as inexpensively as possible, this should work just fine.

If you want to purchase a more multi-purpose Rig that is much better all around, PM me for suggestions.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks MM, I'm just starting my theatre build and have yet to decide between a painted wall or an AT screen. Just gathering info. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think ill just get that electric on off ebay. seems like there are too many variables with the air compressor.

i guess theres no specific paint code for the light, neutral gray.

thanks again, i can't wait to get this done.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,496 Posts
i think ill just get that electric on off ebay. seems like there are too many variables with the air compressor.

i guess theres no specific paint code for the light, neutral gray.

thanks again, i can't wait to get this done.
No....I can / will provide one.
00NN 72/000 . . . "Snowfield" [N8.8] - 219 220 219 -

The Tint should be easy to have the Paint Tech @ Home Depot source for you either on his Computer or via the available Glidden Color Cards. The long Number on the left is the actual Glidden Paint Code.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts