AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this post is better suited to the "audio theory" board. Since it revolves around a purchase of speakers I thought I'd post it here.

Short version:

- Will a Marantz 4120 stereo receiver (listed as 60 x 2 watts) power two Axiom M60ti floorstanding speakers without clipping? Will it power those two front speakers and two rear relatively low-end B&W bookshelf speakers (model # unavailable, sorry)?

Long version:

I've spent several hours browsing posts on this forum and other sources, but I feel I could use a little advice while contemplating this purchase. Please forgive any misused terminology.

We currently have a Marantz 4120 stereo receiver and two B&W bookshelf speakers. I'd love to give you a model number for the speakers. I don't have the manuals for both speakers and receiver in my possession and wasn't able to find a good match from B&W's web site for the speakers. These were my wife's before I got married, and I'm happy to have them. I believe the B&W speakers are fairly low end (relatively for B&W), and we both agree they don't stand too well alone in a living room to fill the space.

I'm looking to improve the bass and overall room-filling quality of the system, and I thought two floorstanding front speakers would be the most logical choice. My other option I've been considering is the addition of a powered subwoofer, but that doesn't appeal to me as much with my listening style (I usually have less bass than others may enjoy).

Through my research I've come to really like the Axiom m60ti (or perhaps the m50ti). I had been previously looking at the Klipsch SF-2, and these seem like a better purchase for similar cost. I'd like to know if my receiver is capable of driving the two floorstanding speakers, and if it's capable of driving all four. The Marantz 4120 seems to be rather rare, but I have been able to find specs that say 60 x 2 watts - which I'm presuming is 60 watts/channel with two channels (left and right). To me that means if I had both A and B speakers I'd be sharing those 60 watts with both a front and back speaker, and I may risk clipping. I do have the option of not using the bookshelf speakers, but I'm open to suggestions. I realize the whole power/wattage ratings are mostly useless, but a concern about clipping can be valid in some cases, it seems.

I contacted Axiom by e-mail yesterday, but they haven't responded yet. I figured while I waited it couldn't hurt if I gathered some more opinions.

Basically:

1.) Will my receiver be able to power all 4 speakers without clipping? Just the 2 front speakers?

2.) For primarily music, will my 4 speaker setup be more effective than a 2 speaker setup (w/ floorstanding), or 2 bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer? I realize this question may not have an answer, but with all the talk of surround in this forum I didn't find very much on whether just two speakers or four was preferred with a music system setup.

I'm open to suggestions of various setups, and I'd be happy to provide more information. Please know that I have researched a variety of speaker brands, but I'd be happy to hear about others in this ($800/pair or so) price range. The idea of buying off the internet with a good return policy appeals to me for its value and convenience. I have listened to the Klipsch speakers in person (Best Buy), but I am not currently considering them as other sources seem like a better deal. Feel free to reference other threads I may have missed in my search.

Thanks,

Proxima

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just heard the Acsend CMT340's today (driven by a NAD C350 amp), the sound was simply awesome. I just thought you might as well want to check them out.

Pin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.