AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster! I've spent a couple hours with the search function looking over old posts, and I did get some useful information, but figured I'd post anyway since there is just so much information to process.

Currently I have an older Pioneer 5.1 receiver (will be upgrading at some point, but for now it works fine so I'd rather do my speakers) and some old Sony bookshelf speakers in front (on the larger side). No subwoofer currently.

I watch a lot of movies as well as listen to music, and I'm not sure what kind of setup is best for me given my budget - probably $500-$600 or so. I can probably move my current speakers to the back as surround speakers, and upgrade them later if I want. I'm just not sure if I want two good floor speakers and a sub, or two bookshelves and a center, plus sub. I'm also not sure if I need to get a L/C/R all from the same place, or if I can mix and match (it seems most people recommend getting them all at the same time but I'm not sure)

After I answer that question, it's a matter of deciding which model of speakers to buy. I'm not really familiar with much beyond what you see at Best Buy/CC and other retailers (Sony, Infinity, etc...) and so I'm not really sure which brands/manufacturers are bad and which are good. After searching it seems Ascend makes some good speakers but I'm not sure if they are within budget (might be able to stretch it a bit)

Any suggestions/recommendations would be great. I'm not looking for anything super high end, but I would like the best quality for the price.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy /forum/post/0

Go listen to speakers at specialty retailers in your area as opposed to mass merchandisers. That will help you get a better feel for the sound that you want.

And then try to buy from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.