AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if my questions are answered elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find recent, clear-cut answers by searching.

I currently have Time Warner Cable in Austin as my HD content provider. I use two SA8300HDCs as my HD-DVRs. Obviously they're not in the same league as the ones from TWC's competitors, but they do a decent job. However, after the recent crap with TWC-Austin losing NBC for a month or so then the pissing contest between TWC and Viacom, I thought it might be time to look at the competition again.

One other qualification to make...way back in the day I looked at getting DirecTV/Tivo as my HD-DVR, but the fact that those devices required dual coax inputs for dual tuners was an obstacle. The layout of my house prevents me from adding additional drops without burying them outside and drilling through the mortar, and it wasn't that important to me. I'm hoping that all of the main contenders now can record multiple programs simultaneously over a single strand of coax like my SA8300HDCs can because if not, the ones that can't aren't really in contention after all.

So having said all of that, I'm looking primarily at Dish and DirecTV as options. AT&T U-Verse is in Austin, but according to their Web site, my neighborhood doesn't have it yet nor does there seem to be any ETA on getting it.

I've heard VERY good things about the Dish HD-DVR, though I've never used one, and I've been relatively unimpressed with the DirecTV non-Tivo DVR. I know that DirecTV is striking up another deal with Tivo, but I'm not sure when that'll be official enough that the HD-DVRs from them will be Tivo-based again.

I went to dishtv.com and put together what looks to be a package that fits my needs with two HDTVs each with DVRs (which I assume/hope are HD-DVRs) and the TurboHD Gold/Platinum package. I was surprised to see that, with a 24 month contract, it was only $62/month and $50 activation. That seemed WAY too low given the hardware I'd be getting from them, so that further makes me question whether those DVRs are HD-DVRs.

I did similar on directv.com and the monthly rate was similar, but I had to pay $200 up front for an additional HD-DVR from them which seemed more in line with my expectations (though not my preference, obviously).

So I guess my questions are this:

1) Given my desire for multiple HD recordings over one strand of coax, are Dish and DirecTV options for me these days?

2) Does the package I quoted above from Dish look right to you guys? Are they just running an awesome deal for new customers?

3) Not to start a religious war, but what seems to be the general consensus on Dish and DirecTV these days for someone who wants to watch almost exclusively HD content with DVR capabilities?

Thanks much for any insights on this, and as I said earlier, if these questions are answered with recent data elsewhere on this forum, please just give me the redirect and I'll check it out there!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
DirecTV has slightly better HD image quality.

Dish has a better DVR.

U-verse has only 2 HD streams into the residence. It's HD image quality is on par with Dish.

Check the local topic for your area for TWC.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, not so much looking for info on TWC as that's what I have now (and have had for years) as much as I'm looking for someone who might be able to do a quick compare/contrast of the others against TWC and clarify my questions about the packages and coax requirements.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWells72 /forum/post/15452759

Yeah, not so much looking for info on TWC as that's what I have now (and have had for years) as much as I'm looking for someone who might be able to do a quick compare/contrast of the others against TWC and clarify my questions about the packages and coax requirements.

Cable HD quality varies from area to area, that's why I directed you to your local topic, others will be able to compare to DBS providers.

DirecTV has a device that allows single coax use for DVR's (which require two feeds), not sure about Dish.

Topic moved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm paying about $95 for Dish. 1 HD and 1 Standard/DVR with the top 200, Silver HD and they are including the Platinum for free. I wouldn't pay for Platinum. It's 7 channels of nothing I'm need for $10.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ken, you said above that "DirecTV has a device that allows single coax use for DVR's (which require two feeds), not sure about Dish". What DirecTV device are you referring to? I have a room that it will be virtually impossible to get a second coax feed from the satellite dish put in, and in that room I've been unable to record on one channel while watching one a second channel using the second tuner in the DVR. Is there a work around using the single coax that will enable both tuners to be fed using the single available coax?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15452594

DirecTV has slightly better HD image quality.

Dish has a better DVR.

U-verse has only 2 HD streams into the residence. It's HD image quality is on par with Dish.

Check the local topic for your area for TWC.

Dish will have constant retransmission fights and fighting with suppliers (more than all the others combined) as was described in the OP comment about why he is looking to change - thus I would eliminate Dish from consideration as this seems to be a big issue for him.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I might be switching to Direct TV from Dish but for reasons I already posted in programming but have basicly the same question. I am not a DVR person and I'm sure I will get used to it no problem. Any problems I might encounter with Directs DVR?

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Directv has a SWM (Single Wire Multi-switch) and SWM LNB, so only one wire from the dish as well. It is available in a limited area right now. The parts are available on line from solid signal and others.

I would check with DirecTV and a local installer as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts