AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I want to buy a NAS/media server and need some advice on which one to chose. Basically here's what i need to achieve:

I want to archive around 10TB of films, both mkv files and ISO rips from DVDs/Blu-Rays. Then i want to have all this stuff accessible on a network, wired or wireless, to stream to my computers and also to my home theater (large TV/projector).

So basically I'm not sure what's the best combo for this: a NAS and a Popcorn Hour? A dedicated media server? A WHS machine? Something else that I haven't thought about?

Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. i already looked at this thread but I don't really wish to go the "build it-tweak it-troubleshoot it" route, I'm really looking for something hassle-free and easy to maintain. Maybe I'm wishing for too much?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I've had no issues whatsoever with the D-Link DSN-323 and DNS-343. They're easy to configure, and have integrated iTunes and UPnP servers. The biggest difference between the two NAS boxes is the 323 supports 2 drives, the 343 supports 4 drives. You put your own drives in.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Some of us have chosen an Intel SS4200. See reviews on newegg and amazon. I followed reviewer's instructions and got WHS running. I have 4 x 2TB drives. You can add on additional drives via USB or eSATA (no multiport though?).

I like it because it's a very high quality build, cheap $135 for 4 drives, and quiet.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
OPs issue is he wants at least 10TB and that is only going to grow in size. A NAS box is just too small for his needs.

If you want a 'pre-build' system you can try checking out a HP Home Server (which would run WHS) but I'm not sure what the HD bay capacity is. Your best option really does seem to build your own system, maybe with a 20HD bay Norco 4220. Any pre-built WHS system you buy is going to have to be configured just the same as if you built your own.

Check out this thread and you can see the equipment I used to build my Norco 4220 case.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all these answers. The 10TB drive space is indeed a problem, but I'm hopeful I can find a 5-bay device (with 2TB drives) that suits my needs.

Now here's another part of the equation that I'm trying to figure out: I'll be able to stream movies to my computer via ethernet, no problem. But what about to my home theater? i'm planning to have a TV/projector combo, and obviously a receiver. How will I stream my films to that setup?

I'm guessing none of the large capacity NAS/media server boxes have HDMI out right? So I need to add one more piece of hardware between the two but what? Once again i want to keep this as simple and trouble-free as possible.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If going the NAS route, you'll have to build a HTPC at the TV (or run HDMI over CAT6 from somewhere else up to 150 feet).

If you build a 'server', you could dual function it as a HTPC. That's what I do with mine that I linked above. It has Windows 7 installed for Media Center and I use FlexRAID for data protection and FlexRAID View to pool the hard drives for sharing. FlexRAID will be complicated to setup, but it is free, and easy to manage once established. I use HDMI over CAT6 and IR over CAT5 to run it to the bedroom.

Also consider this. What will do you do when you fill up the 10TB and need to expand? Buy a second NAS? That's not cost effective.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. One more question: are there any new, reliable wireless streaming systems? I remember when i had researched it a year ago there wan't anything really solid yet, but maybe things have changed. If so, going wireless between my computer, my media server or nas and my TV might be the solution.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
wireless is still not a good option for HD video streaming. It's too unpredictable and you will get occasional, if not constant, hiccups in the stream. A more recent possibility is MOCA (ethernet through your COAX). It will typically be able to support at least 1 HD stream. 100Mbps Cat5 or better will always be your best choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx /forum/post/18126755

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a NAS/media server and need some advice on which one to chose. Basically here's what i need to achieve:

I want to archive around 10TB of films, both mkv files and ISO rips from DVDs/Blu-Rays. Then i want to have all this stuff accessible on a network, wired or wireless, to stream to my computers and also to my home theater (large TV/projector).

So basically I'm not sure what's the best combo for this: a NAS and a Popcorn Hour? A dedicated media server? A WHS machine? Something else that I haven't thought about?

Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks.

You may want to check out the Netgear EVA9150 media server plays 1080p hdmi out, works well with the netgear readyNas pioneer pro, which has 6 diskless spots with capability of 2tb each, for a total of 12tb. After raid capable of 9tb of movies. The dvd's you can rip as iso files and blu ray are as mk2v files. The best part is that the eva9150 will show the coverart of your movies on the screen. Works well with control4 automation, alot of control4 users have the same set up and have approx 300 blu rays on the nas.....check out "c4 central forums" to see it work......

Siordia

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I can't verify the efficiency of a SS4200. I can tell you that sometimes I get over 900mb/s but typically 450mb/s over gigabit network. I really like the quality build of the box and it's quietness.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have 10TB running right now on the SS4200. You can expand beyond 4 drives by plugging into the eSATA and USB ports. IIRC, there's enough eSATA and USB ports to boost capacity to 20TB. I use a cheap USB enclosure and a eSATA dock to add on another 2TB. IIRC, there's two eSATA ports and 3 or 4 USB ports. I'm unsure whether the eSATA ports can multiport. Regardless, there's plenty of room for expansion. If the USB ports can handle a USB hub, sky's the limit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The OP didn't mention if price is a consideration, but if it is, building is the only way to go. Servers with more than 4 bays are still considered a semi-pro market, and every company charges accordingly. The unRAID server mentioned above is the most reasonable I've seen, and it's still at least $200 more than building yourself. Here is a similar 12-drive build with a faster processor and twice the RAM for less than $500. It even has two extra SATA ports open which you could convert to eSATA with a bracket if you wish:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all this info everyone, it really helps me clarify what my options are in this still very complicated setups.

To respond to the last post, price is indeed not much of a concern to me, ie I'd rather spend more for the piece of mind of a tunrkey/works out of the box solution, but I'm not sure one exists (yet). Mostly it looks to me like the problem is that there are many pieces in this puzzle (computer, media server, network storage, connection to display) and there isn't a single manufacturer that makes all the pieces (yet). Shame, because I think if someone sold an easy to configure package that allowed me to do what i'm looking for, I wouldn't be the only one interested.

Anyway, if you have more ideas by all means keep them coming.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18136635

The OP didn't mention if price is a consideration, but if it is, building is the only way to go. Servers with more than 4 bays are still considered a semi-pro market, and every company charges accordingly. The unRAID server mentioned above is the most reasonable I've seen, and it's still at least $200 more than building yourself. Here is a similar 12-drive build with a faster processor and twice the RAM for less than $500. It even has two extra SATA ports open which you could convert to eSATA with a bracket if you wish:

Good setup. Why not just swap out to a core i3/i5 and get an htpc out of it for a little bit more? If it's going to be running 24x7 why not have the (small) nas + htpc in one?

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/18143668

Good setup. Why not just swap out to a core i3/i5 and get an htpc out of it for a little bit more? If it's going to be running 24x7 why not have the (small) nas + htpc in one?

Since when do you need an i3 or i5 for a HTPC? Besides, most people who use media servers are serving multiple players/htpcs/what have you, so its ideal to have it separated from them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.