AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a basic Elan system which delivers whole house audio (wired keypads, etc), but without PC or music server capabilities. The system is old and unreliable (amps frequently fail, etc.). I am ready to step into the modern world with a new system and would like to use as much of my existing architecture as possible, but I feel that keypads are expensive and obsolete. Are there currently any systems which support wireless keypads (like the iPad) for control, use existing wired speakers, and would allow the full range of distributive audio (PC, Pandora, MP3, music server) without breaking the bank.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Nuvo Simplese, or another Nuvo system. Comes with the keypads.

Pair it with an MPS4 networked music server - provides 4 sources to the multichannel amp. Provides Pandora, streaming radio stations, Sirius/XM, and digital music files

You can use the Nuvo or Autonomics iPad app for control, and skip the keypad install.

But, you'll be left with holes in your walls where your current controls are located, if you don't install the keypads. You could replace the Elan controls with IR receivers, to use IR remote controls in each zone.

My wife started complaining about my my Nuvo GC keypads yesterday; she says there are too many controls on the walls, even though I'm essentially replacing in-wall volume controls with double gang keypads (changing the height on the wall when easy).

You may want to consider Sonos, paired with your exisiting in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. The Sonos amps would be located in your closet, stacked. It's kind of pricey.

What kind of controls do you currently have, with the Elan?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19528689

You can use the Nuvo or Autonomics iPad app for control, and skip the keypad install.

I am glad you pointed this out, I have been looking for a system to do this for a while... but it looks like you need the Media Control Server to use the iPad/iPhone app, correct? The price I found on the MCS is MSRP $3995... ouch.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrobarts /forum/post/19553986

I am glad you pointed this out, I have been looking for a system to do this for a while... but it looks like you need the Media Control Server to use the iPad/iPhone app, correct? The price I found on the MCS is MSRP $3995... ouch.

The MCS is an Autonomic product, and is also what the NuVo server products are based on (they use the Autonomic Mirage software), but the NuVo MusicPort Server I believe retails for $2499... There's also the Elite server, and the Autonomic products.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. The systems suggested are within my budget, so I will be checking them out.

Neurorad, you are right about the holes in the walls and the spousal disapproval factor. I currently have six Elan basic keypads (source and volume) installed. In order to not have to plug the walls, I may have to switch them to volume controls. In any event, I either have to patch the walls or put something in their place, both which seem a waste of money.

Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra /forum/post/19555750

Something like THIS

Paired with something like THIS .

Are you saying you get just the PCIe card, build a music server, and use that amplifier? From what I can tell, you don't need to buy CasaTunes amplifier to be able to control all zones/sources. Just want to make sure, because I am pretty sold on CasaTunes and I would like to save a few dollars by using a cheaper amp.

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrobarts /forum/post/19567511

Are you saying you get just the PCIe card, build a music server, and use that amplifier? From what I can tell, you don't need to buy CasaTunes amplifier to be able to control all zones/sources. Just want to make sure, because I am pretty sold on CasaTunes and I would like to save a few dollars by using a cheaper amp.

Thanks

Yes. Just buy the PCIe card and that amp. You can add the keypads if you want that sort of control or just use a iPod touch/iPhone/iPad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new to this, but I've been reading up on the iRule setup and it seems like with the app (license) and GC100 ( device that creates IR signals from WIFI signal from iPhone/ iPad.

So I think you could then control any speaker selector / amp-controller / receiver you wanted that way.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
The Niles speaker selector box that I use is not infrared; it provides impedance-matching to my old, clunky distributed audio system. I haven't touched it since I set it up 2 years ago.

I don't know if you could use a speaker selector box to actually 'select' zones to be on or off.

I haven't seen any speaker selectors with IR, but I haven't looked. Also, you'd need to find one with volume controls (also IR controlled).

Local volume controls in each zone would be VERY useful, IMO.

Run an ethernet cable to the VC location, in each zone, for future upgrading, before you ever paint each room.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad
The Niles speaker selector box that I use is not infrared; it provides impedance-matching to my old, clunky distributed audio system. I haven't touched it since I set it up 2 years ago.

I don't know if you could use a speaker selector box to actually 'select' zones to be on or off.

I haven't seen any speaker selectors with IR, but I haven't looked. Also, you'd need to find one with volume controls (also IR controlled).

Local volume controls in each zone would be VERY useful, IMO.

Run an ethernet cable to the VC location, in each zone, for future upgrading, before you ever paint each room.
This may be something of interest for you. While I haven't put one into use, it does use IR to control the speaker zones. Therefor it would interface nicely with the iRule.

Since I'm new to the forum, I am unable to post a web link, so I will enclose the text below that describes it. It is available from Outdoor Speaker Depot.

OSD-ATM-7

While the speaker selector concept has been around for decades, they generally require you to either walk to the selector in each zone to turn the speakers on or off. The IR remote(line of site to the speaker selector is required) control lets you select your speakers with ease

MSRP$249.50

QTY

1 - 3

4 - 7

8 +PRICE

$149.95

$144.95

$139.50

Sold in single 1 = 1

Features

While the rmote control speaker selector concept has been around for decades, they generally require you to either walk to the selector to turn the speakers on or off. The IR remote(line of site to the speaker selector is required) control lets you select your speakers with ease.

Last Call Back-up memory function

AC Voltage: AC 100-240V / DC Voltage 12V/1.5A

Input/Output Max. Power Handling: 400W

Remote distance: 10 meters

Power consumption: 15W

Infrared Emitter Information and Installation Guide:

With 5 meters cable length

With 3.5mm mono standard plug

With self-adhesive tape for quick and easy fixing on any hard, clean & dry surface.

Weight: 7 lbs

Dimension: 16 1/2" x 7 7/8" x 3". 1.5U Style

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Here's the link to that IR-controlled speaker selector, model OSD-ATM-7.

http://www.*******************.com/7...e-control.html

No way to control the volume, in each zone, without volume controls. IR control of selection only, but not volume. You will commonly want different volumes in each zone.

Edit - Huh, won't let me post the link either. Weird.

I'll type it out

*******************.com/7-pair-speaker-selector-with-remote-control.html

Edit #2 - I think someone at AVS doesn't like *******************

Edit #3 - Or, someone at AVS hates outdoor speaker depot

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am building a media server and have already installed CAT5 cabling to keypad wall recesses in our 5 zones.

I noticed the posting above suggesting using a 3rd party amp with the Casa Tunes XLi.

Is the volume controlled from the XLi output or by remotely controlling the external amp and if so, what is the interface?

Are there any downsides to using the Xli with a 3rd party amp compared to using the Casa Tunes XLA?

Will the Casa Tunes keypads work with a 3rd party amp or are there any 3rd party keypads worth looking at (apart from using an iPod/iPhone).

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Pewit,

All of the volume control is done on the XLi, you may have to adjust the gain control on the amp but that would be it. Any 3rd party multi-channel amp or multiple amps will will work. 3.5mm to RCA cables come with the XLi card to connect to your amplifier. As for the keypads only CasaTunes Keypads will work with the XLi they actually hook up to the PC running CasaTunes via a USB cable and Casatunes Keypad USB hub.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

[email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bmarr,

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but you can get the new appletv ($99) and use airplay to stream music from your iPad. If your elan system only has stereo audio inputs, you can get an optical audio to analog converter from monoprice.com ($25). You can stream any audio playing on your iPad, including internet radio, to the appletv. Also works with iphone and ipod touch. All this is in addition all the features of the appletv. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts