AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I inform you that I'm a beginner on this forum

I was looking for a varnish to be applied on a wood surface to turn it into a screen with front videoprojection ..
As I'd like to keep the wood surface visible I need a transparent varnish ..

I know it's not really possible to transform it into a real screen, but I just want to improve the rendering of video projection... (contents video will be graphic visuals with black and white lines)

For this I have searched on the internet and have found this product : Digital1Crystal :
NEW DIGITAL1CRYSTAL HD INVISIBLE 3.0 SCREEN PAINT

By searching informations I have seen a topic about Digital1CrystaI on this forum and I have realized that it won't be a good idea ..

Maybe someone here has tested this product ?

Is there any solutions to use other tranparent stuff to transform a surface into a screen ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Are you hoping to keep the woodgrain visible even during projection or are you looking for something that'll allow it to be visible at all times EXCEPT when the projector is showing images?..(that last one is likely impossible)

Would it be alright to have only the section of wood where the image will be showing covered in something that conceals the woodgrain?
Would a temporary or rollup or hide-able screen that can be used and then hidden or moved afterward be too much or too different from what you're aiming for?

This sounds like an interesting project, but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do fully.
Could you post a picture or few of the area?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
.............it's hard to know where to start, or what to say that might not seem....well, obtuse?

Here we go.

Your, "I'm a beginner on this forum" is showing. Almost into a comical realm, but tempered by the belief you actually hope you can do what you suggest.

If your surface is wood, looks like wood...with a brown color and visible grain, it's almost inconceivable you would even want to use it for a screen for any length of time stretching beyond that of simply testing your PJ to see how big an image you might want.

But lets look briefly at your request.

• There is no Transparent product in existence anywhere that would magically make a wood surface disappear and become an acceptable Screen. The paint you referenced is intended for use on a Glass Surface such as a window, yet clearly shows the presence of a Bucket placed on the Floor directly behind it.

How much more so will your Wall's feature shine forth? Basically like you didn't do anything but apply a slightly dark, reflective film, which by your own comments is not what you want to do with your Wood Wall anyway.

The Digital stuff is grossly overpriced and has never once received a favorable review from a single member on this Forum. Ever. That should speak volumes considering that there are many on here whose expectations are not hyper critical, and they might be / are willing to settle for less than perfection.

But at $350.00+ per quart, perfection should not only be expected....it's absolutely required.

I suggest you strongly consider what you really want. A excellent image for ridiculously less than where you seem to be heading? Let's hope so.

Besides your having a Wood Wall, tell us more about your situation?

1. Do you already have a Projector, and if so what type and where will it be mounted? On a Table? Ceiling?
  2. How big a Screen surface are you hoping to achieve?
  3. What level / type of light / lighting will exist in the room while your watching Content.
  4. What makes not having a actual dedicated Screen surface not possible?

Hopefully the answers to the above will shed a bit of understanding to your situation, and just perhaps (...no promises though...) it might lead to a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, thanx for having answered to me

It doesn't matter if wood grain is visible or not during the projection ..
but it's important that wood grain stay visible when the projector is off (that's why I'm looking for a transparent varnish).
The idea is to put this piece of wood on a wall so it can be used as a proper artistic object when the video is off as well as a screen to project my graphic visuals on it.

Actually my wood is a bit dark and of course the projection is not really good on this wood,
but I really want to project on this wood (I can't use a temporary screen) because I choose it for its esthetic qualities.

Because it is meant to be an artistic project I don't need to have a perfect image .. anyway I'll project only graphic visuals ..
I just want to improve the rendering of video projection..

Regarding the setup, I don't have a projector yet. The projector should be placed on the ceiling ...
but don't worry about any technical specification, I'm used to make projections

any ideas are welcome :)

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Nice, that should be (conservatively speaking) one-million times easier. :)
In that case, it could help to make as sure as you're able that the wood is sanded smooth and then apply a flat/matte clearcoat IF you actually need the wood coated. The flat/matte clear won't really help projection but a glossy coating could hurt it, so IF you do need it coated a flat/matte would be better for the image...less hotspotting and less visible texture but the wood and woodgrain shows through just fine.

The wood being dark-colored might not be a problem if you projector is bright and the image-size doesn't need to be too large.
What size image were you hoping for?
Can you describe or take a picture (or both) how dark the wood is?
Do you already have a projector in mind or is there a budget you'd like to stick to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, it should be better with flat / matte clearcoat ...
But I think in a piece where there's ambiant light it's shouldn't be enough ...

I don't have the wood with me yet, but it is a composite wood, colour is maybe grey 50% / 70 % ..

The projection size will be more or less 100 x 50 cm (40 x 20 inches)

Regarding the video projector, ideally not more than $1000 ...
I think about a laser/led .. mabye with this one : Brilens LS1280 (sorry I can't post links yet)

so I think the real question is how I can improve the videoprojection rendering by applied something on the wood surface ...

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
First, you might want to consider the Viewsonic PJD5555W instead, as it is a significantly better and brighter PJ than the Brilens and costs almost 50% less

But with either PJ, at the size image your considering, your foot lambert of reflection index is completely off the scale of sensibility.

With the Viewsonic it would be 300 fl.

With the Brilens it would still be 258 fl.

Both those levels could produce a startling bright image on a Obsidian-level Black surface. That in mind, you absolutely do not want to put anything over a surface that would offer any degree of sheen, or increase the gain coefficient in any way..

If the wood your planning on is truly dark, it might work out. If not....you will have a image that almost assuredly will be so bright that detail in any of the Graphics will suffer.

The resulting brightness may...or may not over-power the viability of the wood grain. That is simply an unknown. But be advised that the lessor expensive Viewsonic has much deeper blacks, despite the Brilens stated specs (...which BTW everyone of them are grossly overstated...) and at this conjecture you would need ever bit of whatever projected Black Levels you can muster.

So....in the end you should get the more affordable PJ, and give it a shot on the raw surface. I feel you'll probably be at least as satisfied in doing so as anything else you might consider, if indeed much more so.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
^^^Agreed. Except I can't imagine it being too bright for details (as long as you stay flat/matte or bare wood)..I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how powerful and bold the image will be in just about any amount of light. It would be pretty blinding in a dark room though.

At that size, unless your viewers will be getting very close, you might be perfectly fine using a 1280x800 or 720p projector because the resolution difference will be pretty meaningless at 2m or more distance. ..if viewed closer (1-1.5m), it could start to matter (depending on the content) and there are several 1080p models around $600-700 now.

DLP is definitely the way to go (deeper blacks, brighter whites, less visible pixel screendoor, lower prices available) and LED DLP is a viable option at that size but there are cheaper and better options than the brilliens. LG is a good LED brand for 1080p (right around $1000) and versatile 720p projectors (around $600-$700). Aaxa, Acer and Optoma all make excellent 720p LED dlps priced between $400-700.
Projector specs for contrast and brightness are often exaggerated to joke levels of false..that goes double for no-name models like the brilliens. There aren't any LED models getting over 700white lumens in reality and there aren't any

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank a lot for your answers. That's very interesting ...

regarding keystone, there is a software keystone correction on my computer ..

in fact, I think people will be placed at 1.3m from the display and videoprojector at least 2m ...

but one important thing is that the advantage with a Laser/LED Hybrid is the lamp life ..
In this project the videoprojector will be turned on all the time ... at least 12h a day .. maybe 24/24 ..

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
thank a lot for your answers. That's very interesting ...

regarding keystone, there is a software keystone correction on my computer ..

in fact, I think people will be placed at 1.3m from the display and videoprojector at least 2m ...

but one important thing is that the advantage with a Laser/LED Hybrid is the lamp life ..
In this project the videoprojector will be turned on all the time ... at least 12h a day .. maybe 24/24 ..
Regardless of the stated specification on Lamp Life, do not expect much longer than 6000 hours.

But you have other issues to face. For the size image you want to project, the minimum distance of Throw for the Brilens is exactly 1.8 meters, and the Viewsonic is 1.3 meters. Both PJs are native 16:10 so with a 20" high image the widest you can project is 32".....8" shy of the desired 40".

Of the two PJs the Viewsonic is the best choice. Well known company, longer warranty, much more accurate Color, better contrast & Black levels, and of course....less cost.

Even with all that you have some readjustments to make in your planning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, it's clear that is a know company ..
6000 hours about the viewsonic ? the brilens is 50 000 hours ...

I understand that Viewsonic is a better choice
but it can't do it because I need a VP with lamp life very very long ..

If Brilens is not a good choice, please, do you have other suggestions ?
It's seems that is not possible to find something with no more than $ 1000, it is not ?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
yes, it's clear that is a know company ..
6000 hours about the viewsonic ? the brilens is 50 000 hours ...

I understand that Viewsonic is a better choice
but it can't do it because I need a VP with lamp life very very long ..

If Brilens is not a good choice, please, do you have other suggestions ?
It's seems that is not possible to find something with no more than $ 1000, it is not ?
The Lamp Life of the Brilens is grossly overstated, and in no way will it ever approach even 1/3rd the stated Lamp Life.
Sorry,...but that is just the way a Chinese Company that only makes 1 projector tries to sell people on it's product. By exaggerating every aspect of it's performance.

In your application you need both brightness and the ability to zoom down to a very small image. lamp Life is also important, but frankly, in your application and how you will be using the PJ, Lamp replacement costs is to be considered a necessary evil, a "luxury tax" if you will.

The Replacement lamps are not that expensive and at the least you should average 6000 hrs on Economy Mode and that equates to replacing a Lamp every year @ 16 hrs a day.
The Viewsonic only costs $470.00 on Amazon, so buy 3 extra lamps with the difference between the two Projectors

None of the LED/Laser Hybrids made in China (...or elsewhere for that matter...) will have the light output of the Viewsonic (...no matter what they decide to publish...) so basically, you need to get what will be dependable and honestly rated, and accept the fact that for a commercial use that involves so many "on hours", you simply gotta accept what needs to be done.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
If nothing else, keep in mind that no matter the light-source, the projector itself won't last beyond 15,000-20,000hours of use..none will. The panels almost always fail inside that time period (if they're good enough to make it that far), so lamp/laser life beyond 15,000-20,000 only means something if you're willing to drop another $500+ into fixing other major parts.

A good led model can add some extra ruggedness, but laser/hybrid models don't and it really shouldn't be needed anyway (just treat the PJ like a laptop..let it breathe and don't drop it and it'll be fine).

An LG pa77 is $600 but only bright enough to hit 64ftL..which may or may not be bright enough depending on how bright the area around the display will be.

The viewsonic AND enough lamps to cover the difference would be significantly brighter and still land inside your budget.

The LG will have a real warranty and the Viewsonic will have a longer one..the brilliens might go as far as an email runaround followed by a shrug, or as little as flat out ignoring any contact for help if something goes wrong, because they know you won't be able to pursue them for any wrongdoing (not saying they will, but it's been a repeat occurrence from companies like this).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.