AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Onkyo 805 powering a 5.1 system consisting of Axiom M-22's, M3's, vp100, and a Velodyne sc1250 powering a 12" sub. My 805 started to malfunction after an electrical storm. I've just replaced the the 805 with the 807. I knew going in that the 807 did not have the power of the 805 but figured I could get the power elsewhere.

I have never used an amp before, nor know how to configure it whithin the system. I was thinking Emotiva amp but not sure which would be the right one?

The room that I have the system in is 11' x 23'x 9' ceiling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would suggest taking a look at the Emotiva XPA-5. It's on sale now. It has room for growth in your system in case you get even larger speakers down the road. The UPA-5 is another choice, but it puts out lower wattage compared to the XPA-5. How much do you wan't to spend? Connecting the amp to your Onkyo is easy. Just connect rca's to the pre amp outs on the back of your Onkyo. Then connect your speaker wires to the dedicated amplifier.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Most suggest re-running Audyssey after installing the new amplifier into the system. Or re-check your manual calibration if you don't use Audyssey. After installing my dedicated amplifiers I did go into my set up and made some minor changes to my manual calibration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say the UPA-5 is in the range of what I'd be willing to spend. How do you think that would compare to what the 805 put out. Not sure if you are familiar with it secret.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I own an 805 so Im very familiar with it. It has a great amp section. I now only use it as a pre amp for my dedicated amplifiers. I would say that the UPA-5 would be better than your current 807. It should be better than the 805. Even though the 805 bench tested very well. It's numbers where produced at peak readings. The UPA-5 is rated at 125watts RMS at 8ohm with all channels driven. There is a difference there.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I think the Emotiva UPA-5 would provide better power than the 805. The 805 is good, but still has it's limits. An AVR's main limiting factor is it's power supply. It has to power everything. Multiple amps, video processor, pre amps ect. They can only fit so much in an AVR's packaging. The dedicated amp just has the advantage as far as the power supply and voltage rails. If I had my choice of taking 130 watts peak from an AVR, or 125 watts RMS from a dedicated amplifier. Im choosing the dedicated amp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the #7 post. I put the thread in my faves. For some reason when i went back it stopped at thread reply #4. Did not mean to post the same question twice. Thanks for your help. Now I'm going to have to make a tough decision, XPA or UPA.

I wonder if XPA is over kill for my requirements?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The XPA would work fine. It will not hurt anything. You will have more headroom wattage sitting around. Some people think it's a waste to have extra watts sitting around. I on the other hand, don't mind. Im a believer in headroom. The XPA-5 will give you the opportunity in the future to drive larger or more difficult speakers easier. Everyone I have spoke with at Emotiva also believes that headroom is a good idea. You can call them and see what they say. I own an XPA-5 and I like it. I also own two other XPA amps. I have never owned any of the UPA amps, but I think they should also work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts