AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I finally purchased my Mits 65711 in order to make myself compatible with HDTV. Problem is, I'm going to have to upgrade some of my other components to take advantage of this new world. Let's start with my DirecTivo receiver.

Currently, I'm running the Hughes GXBOT. I know in order to view HD satellite content, I'm going to have to buy either the Sony HD200 or the much talked-about Samsung 160. I've read both respective forums... I still don't know which one to get. Then there's my DVD player.

My Toshiba 5109 was purchased because of it's progressive scan capability, but by todays newer DVD specs, it's outdated. So now I'm considering the Pioneer Elite DV-47ai or the Denon DV-3800.

So far I'm probably out $1200.00 to buy both of these hardware pieces.

Then there comes the question of a Scaler/Upconverter. Should I look at the UltraScan or ProScan. Better yet, how about the Focus?

Bottom line, I want to take advantage of the Mits' capabilities and get the best picture quality possible.

Can anyone spare a few sentences and recommendations??

·
Registered
506 Posts
I recently bought the HD200 as it had less issues reported in the HDTV Hardware forum. The only reason I could see purchasing the Sammy 160 is if dual output was needed for recording (you have D*Tivo like I do so this is not needed). The HD200 also allows you to change resolutions on the remote. HD200 is available online at ABT Electronicsfor $720 for Agoraquest members.

With regards to a DVD player, I purchased the Panny RP82 based on price / performance and the number of AVS members who have already optimized their displays for this player. Personally, I have a hard time allocating alot of money to a 480p source when it will never look like 720p or 1080i HD.

There is alot of information on the Focus CS-1 and CS-2 in the Video Processor forum (as it is closely monitored by Focus personnel and sales representatives). Both units look very well thought out and are cost effective (difference is HDCP, Time Base Correction and BNC inputs on the CS-2).

The budget for these suggestions: $720 HD STB, $210 DVD, $1400 CS-1 or $1800 CS-2. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and helpfull information. I must heartily agree with you with regards to the DVD question. I have been struggling with the price of the two units I have been considering. Instead, I would subscribe to your philosophy and buy a better bang-for-the-buck DVD and save the extra money for the CS-1 which, supposedly, converts all the way up to 1080. Or at least, 720.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Pioneer 47Ai is not just a DVD player it is also a DVD-A and SACD player. If you plan on adding 5 speakers and a sub you will want these new formats. They totally blow away a standard CD. The Music is much more dynamic, deep and rich and has incredible imaging because of the 5 channel seperation. This DVD player also has an incredible picture. I have never seen artifacts on my screen. It is going to be years before a new DVD format is released with enough movies are recorded in that format.

My thought is to enjoy what is available today.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Panny RP82 also supports DVD-A for 5 channel sound (but not SACD). From reports, it outputs true black and does not have the chroma bug. A very good value for $206 (no tax or shipping).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.