AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a polaroid a little over a week ago, and have had nothing but irritation with it. I'm not sure if it has any problems or is just finicky. It keeps stopping when I try to burn DVDs of TV shows; sometimes it will burn all the selected episodes, many times it starts to burn and just stops.

I plan on returning it today. I'm interested in finding another machine that is user friendly, and doesn't have cp. (All I want to do is burn tv shows I've recorded on my Directivo) I don't know if I even need a hdd, since I record everything on my tivo box.

I don't necessarily need a component input, but the toslink optical output is a must.

What other options do I have?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Sounds like you had some bad luck. Too bad. You might want to try the RCA HDD recorder that is also sold at Wallyworld. Very similiar in price and should be fine if you do not need component inputs.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
This sounds suspiciously like a media issue to me. What brand of media are you using? There are many threads here on media to use, and media to avoid. With DVD blank media, the brand you use is critical, with some poor manufacturer's products leading up to 50% bad burns. Get some first tier media and try again before you blame the machine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Church guy,

I posted another thread about the problems I was having with the Polaroid. I'm using Taiyo Yuden 16x -R media. I don't think it gets any better than that.

I think I probably had a bum machine with a irratic burner. It seems cool that these models allow for some broad tinkering, but I really just want a solid recorder. So many of the additional abilities are lost on me. I would prefer something with smooth operation like my old sony dvd player, than get more features with poor menus and response.

I understand that some people ignorantly blame their equipment instead of spending time researching problems. However, I spent hours going through threads on the polaroids before I bought one, apparently I found one with issues even though I was careful about the serial number.

If you have suggestions for an alternate machine I would be glad to hear about them.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
There are a few models out there that will meet most of your needs, but, other than the Polaroid:

- None have replacable HDDs

- All have Copy Protection

I'm considering buying a Pioneer 640 despite already having a 633, to get the DVD+R DL burning capability (and to replace a Panasonic E85H that's moving to the bedroom). I mention this because the 640 seems to be a fine model, worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart /forum/post/0

There are a few models out there that will meet most of your needs, but, other than the Polaroid:

- None have replacable HDDs

- All have Copy Protection

I'm considering buying a Pioneer 640 despite already having a 633, to get the DVD+R DL burning capability (and to replace a Panasonic E85H that's moving to the bedroom). I mention this because the 640 seems to be a fine model, worthy of consideration.

The Pioneer 640 is a great recorder. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...

Seems like the Pioneer 640, the wal-mart RCA, and a couple Pannys are the current hot models.

I'm kind of on the fence; I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a HDD model if I really don't need it. But I didn't like how cheap the Polaroid felt. I'm a little worried about spending any less on a machine and ending up with something the same or even cheaper feeling.

How is pricing expected to change (if at all) in a couple months? If there is going to be a big sell-off to get rid of all the analog recorders I would be happy to wait until then. I'm not too concerned about a digital tuner, as I have D* with locals.

Decisions, decisions. Why can't there be only 2 or 3 quality choices! All I want is the number of connections the Polaroid has, an HDMI port for future upgrade, a solid sony quality remote, a smooth Tivo quality menu system, full media compatibility, and high speed Hdd to DVD recording! Am I asking too much?

I'm contemplating buying a cheapie like the sv2000 just to be able to burn tv shows off of my tivo and waiting another year or two for better cheaper systems... (like I'm doing now with HD)

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeshadow /forum/post/0

Church guy,

I posted another thread about the problems I was having with the Polaroid. I'm using Taiyo Yuden 16x -R media. I don't think it gets any better than that.

You are correct. It does not get too much better than that, and that would shift the source of the problem well away from the media. If you have done the research, as you say, then you know that your experiences with the Polaroid are not typical. I would return it as defective and get another. If you want a different machine, then the other recommendations here are as good as I could come up with. There is one thing though: I am always reluctant to recommend a recorder without a hard disk because of the number of people here who have bought one, and then decided shortly afterward (sometimes very shortly) that they needed the functionality that can only be had with a hard drive model. You don't think you'll need it, but very soon you'll quite likely want it. History is with me here!

·
Registered
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloaded /forum/post/0

Have you tried any +R media? It is worth a shot, just to totally eliminate it as a possibility.

peace.

unloaded

There are many of us who have the Polaroid and use many different - R media, but I agree with you to try +R since that is the media called for with the Polaroid. Its manual does not mention -R even though it works with it. Maybe this machine actually read the manual.

Also, even though it is TY media, that does not discount either fake TY or a bad batch.

Most on the Polaroid thread think it is just a bad unit and to buy another one.

As far as going with something like the panny ES-20, forget it. No HD and many other issues. It was my first DVR and it now is in my computer room and the Polaroid in the living room. Do not ever buy a non-HD recorder. You will regret it as soon as the novelty has worn off.

For the price, it is an exceptional machine for features, general viewing, time shift and hackability. The only areas it is deficient is in time shift during a scheduled recording, but there are easy workarounds there, mono recording off the tuner (two channels but mono), editing and a fast forward issue on some other players.

The bigger problem is it seems to have disappeared from the Walmart shelves and replaced by the more expensive Phillips (which it obviously is but with a 80 and not a 160 gig drive).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.