AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for cameras that can shoot full HD (1920x1080) at 60 frames per second (not 60 fields per second) on a shoestring budget. So far, I've found the Sanyo vpc-fh1 which does HR 1920x1080 @ 60p for around $400.

Anyone know of any other cams in that price range that can do HD @ 60p for around the same price? I've been looking, and the vpc-fh1 keeps coming up as pretty much the only option without spending $800 +. I know I'm being cheap. I have to.

Anyone with experience with the vpc-fh1?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
For around $100 more, theirs the more advanced HD2000A which adds a mic input and better low-light capabilities. For $1,000 you get the TM700 which is basically a TM350 and an HD2000A on steroids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at the HD2000A, but I'm not sold on the pistol grip style. I guess as long as it has tripod mounts, then it would work. I was considering playing around with lens adapters and DOF adapters. I think it might be a challenge to build a rail system for a pistol cam.

The $1000 range opens up options a bit, but I'd like to keep it under $700, which I know is a challenge, but is absolutely necessary since I don't have the budget for better gear.

It seems like low light is the only real issue with the vpc-fh1, and I think I can deal with that.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Actually, stabilization is the only real big problem with either the FH1 or HD2000A models IMO. Low-light isn't the best in class, but is competitive. If you're planning to use it on tripod and/or rail, stabilization isn't an issue then. But I simply couldn't live with the output of the HD2000A in hand-held mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definitely be shooting from either a DIY steadicam or jib or tripod, and I can work with some bouncing in post, so stabilization isn't a big issue for me. I know what you mean about the shakiness of the HD2000A. It's horrid. I've seen some impressive results after running the footage through virtualdub & deshaker. Still pretty shaky.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/18189982

For $1,000 you get the TM700 which is basically a TM350 and an HD2000A on steroids.

Have you actually tried the TM700 or seen good, independent reviews of it, or are your numerous recommendations based upon its specs? I ask because the relationship between specs and real-world performance has been very weak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts