AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all pretty much - I'm trying to find an indoor (not attic) antenna that has reasonably good multipath rejection. I'm just over 6 miles from the transmitters (all of them are on the same hill), so gain isn't too much an issue. Unfortunately, I'm shooting through a college campus and it's assortment of high buildings to get them.

I've got the Panasonic 42" HD plasma (I think it's TX4260U or something like that) with a built in QAM/ATSC tuner, and a XP MCE box with an ATI HDTV Wonder in it. Unfortunately, the Fox affiliate (WUHF) in this area is acting like a baby, so I can't get it in QAM over cable.

Sunday night I ended up using a UHF loop I literally hacked together with a piece of twinlead and a 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer that worked amazingly well (I tried it in an act of sheer desperation, and was outright when signals came in) but still not good enough - I had some occasional pixelation. Monday night I used a Silver Sensor that worked a bit better, but still not great - it would break up once every few minutes, and was definitely related to a car driving on the road outside (opposite direction of where the antenna is pointed) so I'm assuming it's a multipath issue.

The Panasonic's built-in tuner got a 70% quality or so and worked pretty well, except for breaking up when cars went by. The HDTV Wonder did not fare too well, dropping lock often and being relatively useless.

If this is the best I can can do period, I can live with it, but I'd like to do better. Unfortunately, due to where I live, nothing attic mounted/outdoors is feasible. I'm considering trying to get two Silver Sensors and stacking them for better directionality, but before I do that, is there a similar antenna which has greater directionality? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Unless you get up high (roof), you probably won't get a great signal.

One thing you might try, though.....

If you could put the Silver Sensor up high (near the ceiling), with a somewhat clear shot toward the transmitters, you might hang a sheet of aluminum foil behind it (stay back a foot or so, to prevent interactions and cross-coupling to the antenna). This would help the front-to-back ratio....but, still, anything like a car in front is going to cause reflections. You might also try a nicer-looking set of metal venetian-blinds, instead of the foil. Also, a second or third layer of foil might help, making the "shield" denser.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea of aluminum foil on the back did cross my mind, but I thought it would create more multipath - sounds like I was wrong?

Unfortunately, I have no way to get this higher than the buildings (or even very close to that) as I'm too close to the campus. The cars are only on the back side - I guess are there any good tabletop antennas with excellent rear rejection?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts