AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an LCD that we can use in several offices. However, I noticed a lot of the specs that people post or that people are looking for are not exactly what we need. Here are the basics:

1) Size should be around 40 inches

2) TV profile should be sleek and smooth, no clunky edges or box-y frames. I know LED TV's would be perfect for this, but unfortunately I don't have the budget for it.

3) Not too heavy, so it can be moved office to office easily

Budget: $500-$800

720p and 60hz is fine. Again no LED or Plasma (due to low budget). They are being used for stuff like PowerPoints or medical-related videos, and usually from across the room, so no sports or gaming up-close. Just something basic, but will look good sitting in a higher-up's office.

I know this is sort of counter-intuitive to what people are usually looking for (size and shape first, picture quality second), but I know with the expertise of the members of this forum someone will be able to come up with something.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
So you want a 720p LCD tv. Check out Samsung.

Both below are correct. You have to go smaller than 40" for the lower specs.

Go to Amazon.com, put in lcd tvs as the search and see what you find.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Sony EX500, great TV, fits your budget, non-LED/LCD since it's a CCFL/LCD. Also 1080p and 120hz. Another alternative would be the Samsung D630 which may look a little classier in an office because of its thinner bezel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! Both models look like a great fit and I'll be passing them on to our purchasing manager. However they also want a 720p version for a price comparison. Do you know any TVs that have similar specs but are 720p?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4work /forum/post/20809872

Thanks so much! Both models look like a great fit and I'll be passing them on to our purchasing manager. However they also want a 720p version for a price comparison. Do you know any TVs that have similar specs but are 720p?

You could try the Sony BX420 or the Samsung D550. They are still 1080p, but only 60hz.

As someone above said, 40" and up LCDs are almost all 1080p unless you want a piece of crap with horrible viewing angles hanging on the office wall. Offhand, I can't think of a single 40" 720p LCD, let alone one I would even consider.

Tell your purchasing manager that if he/she wants a 40" 720p hunk of junk to do a Google search and "settle" for something cheap. I did a search and couldn't find any that met those specs, so PlasmaPZ80U was apparently correct (which doesn't surprise me).

By the way, if you buy a cheap off-brand and it fails, good luck trying to get it serviced or repaired. Read some of the VIZIO horror stories on this Forum with regard to service.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you did ask us for our advice. It's up to you if you follow it.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20809003

Sony EX500, great TV, fits your budget, non-LED/LCD since it's a CCFL/LCD. Also 1080p and 120hz. Another alternative would be the Samsung D630 which may look a little classier in an office because of its thinner bezel.

Is this a 2011 model?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:

The biggest 720p lcd I know if is a Funai-built Magnavox POS. Anything 40" or above will be 1080. 60hz vs 120hz will give the bean counters something to ponder.

There are a lot of 720p plasmas available in 42 inch screen sizes but you've already said they're a no-go.

The Sony EX500 is a 2010 model but still available, though moreso in larger screen sizes. It's a very good basic set that dodges most of the edge-lit led problems and worth snapping up if you can find one.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20810427

The biggest 720p lcd I know if is a Funai-built Magnavox POS. Anything 40" or above will be 1080. 60hz vs 120hz will give the bean counters something to ponder.

There are a lot of 720p plasmas available in 42 inch screen sizes but you've already said they're a no-go.

The Sony EX500 is a 2010 model but still available, though moreso in larger screen sizes. It's a very good basic set that dodges most of the edge-lit led problems and worth snapping up if you can find one.

40" EX500s are still available at my local BB & WM.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^There ya go! I don't see any reason to further--the Sony combines quite good pq with great reliability and a presentable cabinet.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:

Best Buy have their Insignia brand TV. Its LCD, 720p, 60Hz and available in 42" & 46" sizes and costs $500-600 (less when on sale).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.