AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a little advice here. I am looking for an NAS that can stream movies and music to various media players around the house.

My current NAS:

Buffalo LS-C500L Linkstation NAS

Wireless router

My current gadgets:

2 laptop PCs (wireless)

PS3 (wireless)

Xbox 360 (wired)

LG Blu Ray Player (wired)

As of now, only my PCs and smartphone (Atrix), can connect and stream from the Buffalo. Meanwhile, the important ones that I want for video and music streaming (PS3, Xbox, BluRay) don't even recognize the NAS as part of the network. They stream from the laptops easily however. The Xbox even streams video from my phone.

I picked up the Buffalo last year with the intention of combing all these into one nice little package without dealing with having a computer always setup. From what I can tell, the Buffalo cannot connect to these others without a lot of coding and no-how that I don't have.

So, good people of the internet, would you please offer me your 2 cents on where I can go from here without breaking my paycheck?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
any of the qnap or synology will handle your needs. im pretty sure both of them run twonky which will work with both the xbox and ps3 using upnp, and your laptops can use the upnp or samba connection. But it all comes down to price, there is some decent qnap and synology 4 bays in the 399$ price range i think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case you want to use PS3 as media player - QNAP models with Intel Atom can run PS3 media server, which handles online media transcoding to your PS3 (PS3 does not play many video formats without it).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I currently have the Western Digital Live Duo Device. It is the 4TB model, but I have it configured in Raid1, so I only have 2TB usable. It works great for a media server for music, ripped movies, pictures, etc. The only problem I am having with it is that the mobile application for my iPhone doesn't work anymore.

My father is using the device and its behind his firewall, so I am assuming thats the problem. But I can't be 100% positive until he gets back from his Bear hunt and has time to take a look at the firewall settings.

I would definitely buy another one for the price. Hard to come by 4TB or 6TB of disk space with a 1GB network connection that actually delivers over the network like they say.

I am amazed at how fast the network connection and processing power is in this small NAS enclosure.

I use my Xbox in conjunction to stream all the content and it works GREAT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts