AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my set up. I wanted to do it in little increments and just recently bought a new sub a couple of months ago and now am looking to upgrade the rest of my speakers.

What I currently have:

Energy CF-50s L/R

Energy CC-10 center

Energy CB-10 SL/SR

Rythmik LVR12

Onkyo NR-1008

I do about 40% video games, 20% music, 20% movies and 10% TV. I'm wondering what is available in my price range. I was mainly interested in the Martin Logan ESL towers, but my room does not seem to be really geared for them to sound their best. Then I was also looking at the Motion 40s and matching them up with their low end book shelves for surrounds, Motion 2s. Then a Motion 8 for a center channel.

Anything else in that price range that might be better that I should be looking at?

Here's a shot of the room btw... I know... room is pretty small.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I think you may need to spend a bit more than that to get a really serious upgrade over your existing equipment. If you don't listen at tremendously loud volumes, I would be looking at some Ascend Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers, I think those would be a substantial upgrade.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Onkyo sound quality is the pits, IMO...but it WOULD be a good match for those terrible Energy speakers...rofl. (BAD + BAD = ???)

IMO that whole system is the worst of the worst, so improvement will be very easy.

To get the best sound quality for your budget:

A NAD T-758 AVR will sound like a million bucks by comparison, and it runs around $1000.

For some REALLY good speakers (about 400% better), a pair of Focal 714V speakers are $720 at Music Direct (were $1200).

Add a Focal CC700 center for $360 and a pair of 705V for $360, and you will have one fine system.

That's around $2500, and you can get a Klipsch RW-12 sub for around $500 or so, or spend more money for an NHT or Rhythmic sub.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1522620/looking-for-an-upgrade-budget-at-around-2-3k#post_24487610

I think you may need to spend a bit more than that to get a really serious upgrade over your existing equipment. If you don't listen at tremendously loud volumes, I would be looking at some Ascend Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers, I think those would be a substantial upgrade.

Agreed. You have a very good receiver. Focus on your front three speakers. You might also consider a 2nd matching sub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts