AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to add another 4504 to my collection - i know it's crazy, but when i get into my new house next month, i'm gonna need it to stream from my current 4160. i have a few questions first:

-How crazy is it to do this now?

-Am i going to be able to pay the $250 and get the unit activated still?

-Where is the best place to find the 45xx series? Amazon.com doesn't have em and neither do any of the other places i've seen - at least not anything under $300.

thanks for the info....sturmie

*EDIT*

if anyone has a 4504 (w/ or w/o lifetime sub already) that they're lookin to unload for a decent price, PM me.

*EDIT*

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i saw the ebay ones...but it's hit or miss on there...usually miss...prices seem to get way too inflated most of the time and u can't really get a "deal" on there...unless ur sellin of course ;).

sturmie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Or you could go a little crazy like I did and get one of the clearance 4532's from the SB site :)

I did a lot of internet searching myself and it is possible to find a 4504 for less than $300, but still above $200. I can pretty much guarantee, based on my searches, that you won't find a deal on one.

Planetminidisc.com had the 4504 for $239 as of the 7th.

(not associated with the site, found it on cnet's review site)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm...now that i look at it, the 4532 for $500 isn't bad at all....i could take the 160gb drive outta my modded 4504 and use it some where else and then drop a small 20gb drive in there instead....then use the 45320 as my main RTV machine and then stream stuff to my 4504 (w/ the 20gb) when necessary...hmmm.

guess my next question would be, if i have 2 45xx series on the same network, can i SEND[/i] shows from one to another or is it streaming only? if i do this switch, then i would like to take most of the shows from my 4504 (w/ the 160gb) and drop em on my new 4532.

also, is SB shippin 4532 units still? i see that they are still listed on their site as in stock.

sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$219 isn't bad....comes out to around ~$245 after taxes/shipping....so, if i were to buy the 4504, i can still pay the $250 to activate it, right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to what I've seen, the website is an accurate reflection of stock at SB, I ordered my 4532 Tuesday night. . .

From what I've read, you can only stream between the systems, you can't send it from one to the other. If you use DVArchive, you can store the show on your PC and stream it from any 4500 series (if it came from a 4500 series) but you can't push it back to a hd on those systems.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i know u can't push back in DVArchive....i just thought u could transfer shows between the two 45xx models....guess that doesn't work on a LAN, only over the internet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sturmie
yeah, i know u can't push back in DVArchive....i just thought u could transfer shows between the two 45xx models....guess that doesn't work on a LAN, only over the Internet.
Actually it uses internet only for initial handshake. Data transfer happening inside the LAN. Mind all transfered shows are in Received category and not movable to other categories.

But in your case I would just take both drives out of RTVs, pus them in the PC and make copy of the old one to the new one, using Copy MPEG Partition option in RTVPatch. Then delete any show you don't want on the new RTV.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if u have "Received" shows, u can't move em to different categories? that's a bummer.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Baraka
Some store

You can also call them before ordering.
just called....out of stock....idiots need to update their website from "Usually ships in 2-3 business days" to "We have no clue how to do business on the web"....sheesh.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PlanetMiniDisc.com is out as well :(.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, try the various consumer electronics review sites then (cnet, epionions, etc), they usually have links to places that are supposed to carry the items reviewed. Otherwise, the 4532 from SB is your other option. That way you also get something with a warranty that you don't have the upgrade right away. (Assuming the warrantly is valid after the 15th)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is getting quite frustrating. EVERY place i've found online that shows the 4504 in stock, is actually sold out.

as a last resort, i called up SonicBlue to see if they could recommend a place to get one...unfortunately, i couldn't get one damn person on the phone that didn't speak w/ a THICK foreign accent. at the same time, i don't think either of em even understood half of what i was saying. i'd ask to talk to another person and then, BAM!, another person w/ an accent. now i have nothing against foreigners (my best friend is persian), but if u don't understand the language, maybe customer service/phone support isn't the ideal fit for u.

w/o ranting too much, i finally got someone who kinda understood what i was tryin to ask...he said that they are still coming out w/ the software update to get the 4xxx series to talk to the 5xxx series....i said, "why should i believe that? u guys were supposed to have it out Q1 and u have a bankruptcy sale pending"...i also said, "ur company is handcuffing owners of the 4xxx series by discontinuing those models, basically not allowing us to have multiple RTVs in the house".

anyway, i'm just pissed too b/c i found a place that had 4504s in stock, but just sold out when some jackass bought 15 of em @ $230 a piece. arrrrrrrrrgggghhhh!

sturmie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sturmie:

According to a person I spoke with at SB, he has the new 50004500 software running on his systems and is able to stream back and forth. I think they are in final testing and he said that the software should still go out and he didn't think software dev would just stop with new owners. . .

YMMV, I ponied up the $500 for a 4532 instead of getting a nifty 5000 series locally. I also prefer the 4500's for functional and light-bearing reasons :)

Oh, btw, I don't know if they have Costco in Buckeye land, but if they do, and they aren't brand new, they might have some. None of the Costcos in Indy have them, but they only opened last September.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nope, no Costco (or The Wiz) in central ohio.

good news about the software update tho, that's about the only thing holding me back from getting a 5xxx model.

sturmie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.