AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a local installation guy to inquire about putting up an UHF antenna...

He will install a CM 3023 UHF antenna, with an off-brand amp, an off-brand rotator, and a single TV connection, for $600-$650. That seems a bit high to me. I think the parts and cables may cost me about $250 if I were to buy them myself.

What's a reasonable rate to install an antenna?

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Depends on a number of things..

How far you are from the transmitters you're trying to hit. "New Jersey" doesn't tell us much. 15 miles is a lot easier to do than fifty. Especially when it comes to digital.

Depends on your terrain. If you're in a valley, it's going to take more than if you're on a hill

As for installation cost, there are other factors. Is your house easy to get to? Unusual roof construction? Does he need to erect a tower? Lots of variables, here.

Yeah, it could cost that much. See what he'd do it for if you suppled all of the materials. Or, if you don't need more than a tripod roof mount, do it yourself. It's not rocket science.

Good luck.

Doc

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Get a few estimates and if possible, recommendations.

I'll move this to the Locals forum and modify the title. What is the general area or city you're near?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in western Monmouth County, and would like to pick up Philly stations, which are about 50 miles away. I have a two-story house. If it were a single-story one, I would do things myself. I do have trees and a hill behind, so I will probably have to elevate the antenna somewhat.

The phone book doesn't list many "antenna installers". I may try to call some satellite installers and see if they have any experience.

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Hill + trees + 50 miles. That WILL be a chore. You might post something with "Philly" in the topic or peruse the existing Philly thread to see if others near you have some recommendations.

Good luck

Doc

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Even with a reasonable line of sight between antenna and transmitter, 50-60 miles is about practical limit to receive near-perfect UHF-digital reception. At that range, you will need a reasonable line of sight, 25 minimum height of antenna from ground and a high quality, highly directional antenna with a rotator. If this does not do it, at times, a pre-amp will help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.