AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to do a search of AVS for an AT screen build and stage build, but I just cannot find what I am looking for. Found a few, but looking for a more detailed build thread with multiple photos.

I am looking for a very detailed threads with pics of an AT screen build along with a front stage build. Can be separate build threads. If anyone remembers a build thread or has pics of these build threads can you please pass it off to me? I have decided to go AT screen and I told my builder I would send him pictures this weekend with something along the lines of what I want. I just want to give him an idea of what I am talking about. Allot of your contributions have really helped me explain my theater build to my builder, I am very thankful for the guys that have shared their builds with us.

Thank you in advance for any help here guys.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,725 Posts
Bacon Race

Ohio

Curve frenzy

Rawlinsway

Bethesda Build

everything you need to know will be in one of those threads. See my signature

Are you looking for straight or curved stage

Will the fabric screen wall go wall to wall or do you need something on the sides because of room width?

Tell me what you want I have 100s of pictures I've never posted.

I also do contractor to contractor consulting via Skype.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got a stage and an acoustically transparent screen. All DIY.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24427036

Bacon Race

Ohio

Curve frenzy

Rawlinsway

Bethesda Build

everything you need to know will be in one of those threads. See my signature

Are you looking for straight or curved stage

Will the fabric screen wall go wall to wall or do you need something on the sides because of room width?

Tell me what you want I have 100s of pictures I've never posted.

I also do contractor to contractor consulting via Skype.
I don't have allot of space DC. My stage will be simple as the screen and stage will both be the width of the room. The theater is small at 14X16. So what I essentially saying is I would like an AT build with the AT screen and stage built together to the width of the room. Nothing fancy on the stage, just straight and square, I also want my speakers to be set on the stage behind the screen. The only thing I am worried about is that if I do the AT screen, I will be at about 10' viewing to the seats. Do you think that will be to close? I am fine with it, I have to work with what I got. Thank you. I wanted you to do this build for me, but I remember you saying you are booked! Thank you for the offer for Skype consulting. I will pass that off to him.

This is very similar to what I want, but looking for a few more options/ pictures etc..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469400/gorillas-130-16-9-at-screen-and-false-wall-build-xd-fabric-custom-frame-grommet-o-ring-tensioning

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24427476

I've got a stage and an acoustically transparent screen. All DIY.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
I love that, beautiful, but I don't have that kind of space. I will have to do a stage and screen the width of the room. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Actually you do have the space for that look, if you use a single row of seating, use in wall front speakers and plant

the AT screen wall 6" in front of the front wall, right on top of the stage.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24428407

Actually you do have the space for that look, if you use a single row of seating, use in wall front speakers and plant

the AT screen wall 6" in front of the front wall, right on top of the stage.
I don't want in wall speakers, but besides I already have my audio. I will be doing a 7.2 with 4XJTR Single 8's for surround. I also have 2XJTR 212HT's for mains and 1XJTR 228HT for a center. I also have 2XPSA Triax subs. I just recently purchased 2 Danley Sound Labs SM60F's. which I will be A/B'n to see if I like the JTR's or Danleys in the final build of the theater.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I get where you are going with this, as I have experience with a similar sound system in a smaller space.

How tall is the room and how many seats do you really need?

Have you used those S8's as surrounds near the seating? I ask because I sold off my rear T8's when I cut off ten feet of theater.

I love my T8's and Contrabass subs up front, but I couldn't hack the T8's as near field surrounds.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,725 Posts
STRAIGHT STAGE AND SCREEN WALL 101

You build a frame on top of roofing felt, keeping it 1/2 inch away from walls

You line each cavity with plastic and fill with play sand

Add decking, two layers of 3/4 plywood or OSB with Roofing felt or GG between layers leave a 1 1/2 inch lip and round over with a router.

You build a screen support structure and add the z clips for the screen frame.

You make 4 frames for around the screen top,bottom, left and right. Picture of the ones for the top and bottom:

Wrap them in either black GOM FR701 or black velvet and put in place.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24429256

STRAIGHT STAGE AND SCREEN WALL 101

You build a frame on top of roofing felt, keeping it 1/2 inch away from walls

You line each cavity with plastic and fill with play sand

Add decking, two layers of 3/4 plywood or OSB with Roofing felt or GG between layers leave a 1 1/2 inch lip and round over with a router.

You build a screen support structure and add the z clips for the screen frame.

You make 4 frames for around the screen top,bottom, left and right. Picture of the ones for the top and bottom:

Wrap them in either black GOM FR701 or black velvet and put in place.

This is perfect DC!! Nice job, that is just beautiful. I hope mine turns out as nice.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24434468

Detailed step by step pics for my AT screen is in my Signature. My stage build starts here Retirement Dream Home Theater stage
Haha, I remember reading some of this a while back. Thanks for sharing. Good pictures. I have the same Panasonic AE-8000U projector, how do you like it? Mine is still sitting in the box, I bought it on Cyber Monday and received it about a month later, it has been sitting ever since. I am getting worried that by the time my theater is finished the projector will be obsolete

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I have a very narrow room with my screen and stage running the entire width. Fairly simple and straight forward.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24434824

Haha, I remember reading some of this a while back. Thanks for sharing. Good pictures. I have the same Panasonic AE-8000U projector, how do you like it? Mine is still sitting in the box, I bought it on Cyber Monday and received it about a month later, it has been sitting ever since. I am getting worried that by the time my theater is finished the projector will be obsolete
The AE-800 is a really nice projector. Have you checked out the owners thread yet? There are some units out there that have convergence issues. I would at least fire it at a white wall or sheet just to see if you have any issues. I did a good write up in that thread how to set it up for the first time (if you are using ceiling mount.

I really like the Seymour Center Stage XD screen I made it constant image area 2.0:1 so over all it is 126"x65" that gives me

126"x52" 2.40:1 with 136" diag, 6 12" bars top and bottom

126"x54" 2.35:1 with 137" diag, 5 1/2" bars top and bottom

120"x65" 1.85:1 with 137" diag, (man this size make it like being there) 3" bars both sides

116"x65" 16x9 with 133" diag. 5" bars both sides

So in the way the best of both worlds If I would have done a 2.40:1 screen 126" wide my 16x9 size would have been 92"x52" with 106" diag. If I would have done 16X9 65" tall my 2.40:1 would have been 116"x48" 126" diag.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1520492/looking-for-at-screen-and-front-stage-build-threads#post_24434858

I have a very narrow room with my screen and stage running the entire width. Fairly simple and straight forward.

talk about a wall of sound
your avatar name says it all
do you have a build thread?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Does anyone know how tall the stage is on the hometheater of the month? Looks like there is pictures of that on this thread.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts