AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an ONKYO AVR for about 5 years now, and it's done a good job, but not it's gone "tango uniform". I need a replacement, and I don't want to spend 2 months researching everything in the world.

I'd *like* to have a an AVR that handles 5 video inputs (my Onkyo has 4), but it seem that as soon as you go to 5, you're in the "Arm and a Leg" price range. I paid $700 for this Onkyo five years ago, and it handles 4 video inputs. I'd think you get something with a few more features for the same price, but that doesn't match with my two days of research.

Other than a few DirecTv recievers (one's a Tivo), I've not really bought any AV gear in five years, so I'm out of touch with what's good and what's "gotta have". I do plan on adding a Large, Wide screen "TV" and DVD in 3 to 6 months, and I welcome comments on what I'm going to want in an AVR when I add those.

I do have the option of repairing my Onkyo (estimated $200), but I figure that's it's about time...

Thanks much.

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not too sure what your exact budget is, but Arcam has a receiver, the AVR-200 that is going for $1000-1300, depending on where you can get it.

It has 5 S-video inputs.

Just my opinion, but if you plan to use it for stereo music in addition to home theater, I thought it beat the latest Onkyo's when I A/B'd them within the same system. The sound was less harsh and it was warmer.

You may want to check out the version that the AVR200 replaced (AVR100). It may also have 5 S-video inputs, not sure. And it would be cheaper too.

The downside of the Arcam is that does not have component video switching capabilities.

www.arcam.co.uk

Check it and any other suggestions out as you will probably find no matter what you choose, it should sound better than your older unit. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.