AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my 1st post and just want to say thanks for having a forum like this where novices such as myself can learn. On to my query. As I have stated, I'm not too familiar with ALL the display types that are out there (example HDTV, Rear Projection...etc). I have been reading about plasmas and there burn-in problems, % loss of quality over a year or so. Basically i would like something in a plasma size (as far as width) without the plasma problems. I need it to play DVD's, video games (Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube) and can be used as my computer display. I am willing to spend about $3,000. Measurements of my room are 9 feet 2inches wide 13feet 9inches length and an 8 foot ceiling (space is an issue which is why i liked the plasma size so much). Would also like to have a large prime viewing area. And also if possible, have the ability to split the screen (as i have seen some plasmas are able to do for mulitple console devices...etc)

Im open to any and all suggestions. Another ? i have is about HDTV and is it worth buying 1 now or should i wait (once i do decide what kinda display im getting that is =oP

All feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much

Brad

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Brad, welcome to the forum.

I'm not exactly sure where to start but do you know there are other forums here? you should go to each forum and read up a little bit.

A good start would be the under $3000 digital projector forum

HDTV yes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually have been to the other forums on here and as i said im a newbie slowly learning my way. Im assuming you sent me to the 3000 under projector forum cause you feel that those r the way 2 go? if this assumption is wrong please let me know. i have been going thru posts on there all day...thanks again for the initial info

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Brad,

Tryg is pointing you in the right direction. This is actually the "Screens" forum...as in screens for front projection display devices. Are you looking at front projection display devices? Are you looking for a rear projection device (ie: big screen TV)?

Some of the things to watch for....which you mentioned a few already...

1) Primary use (DVD, TV, HDTV, video games)

2) Light control - can you make the room dark during the day?

3) Size - size of the screen and size of the room all figure into the size equation...with a smaller room you need to make sure the pj you choose can "throw" the image size you want with the distance you have.

4) How far back will you sit? (1.5 - 2.0x the screen diagonal is recommended)

5) Connections - what are you going to connect? Alot of people find out they need to replace their DVD player or buy special cables to hook up what they want.

6) CRT/DLP/LCD/D-ILA technology - wall have inherent strengths and weaknesses.

There are many more things to consider, but start with some of these.

Most importantly....SEE before you BUY.

Answering these questions will help you decide which way to go...front vs rear. Many of us here are front projection fanatics, but we realize it's not for everyone for various reasons.

Most newer digital projectors are HDTV compatible, you will need to read specs to make sure. I would recommend getting one HDTV compatible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi mquinn25, i actually pretty much know what i would like to use it for

1. basically something to replace my tube tv, that can display tv,dvd,hdtv,and video games

2.yea i have dimmer, so making the room dark is very easy and i have the window blocked.

3.9 feet 2inches wide 13feet 9inches length and an 8 foot ceiling, as far as the screen size i will ask around to see which size would be optimal

4. Again, i'll sit wherever is the most optimal viewing area

5. As far as connections, i have the cable box, vcr, dvd, and game systems (which im planning to buy component cables for the big 3 xbox, ps2, gamecube) and its not really an issue cause i'll do whatever it takes to give me the best quality

6. i am going to look more into those different types of technology tonight and their varying strengths and weaknesses

of course i plan to see with my own 2 eyes before making such a big investment and im more fond of the front projections as well. Easy to move around and no technicalities with burn in and etc...like with rear projections (or none that i have found yet) But im no where near making a purchase so who knows i may or may not change my mind. Thanks again so much you guys

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
do you have an electronics store near you to view stuff?

What do you prefer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that was one question i forgot to ask, i live in New York and i dont really remember walking into a best buy and seeing front projectors...any suggestions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Brad,

OK...I'll try to help as much as I can by forcing you to ask yourself more questions and answer them :)

1) What percentage TV? DVD? HDTV? Video Games? Front projectors have lamps that burn out and they are expensive to replace ($300 and up)

I would say...some may disagree....that for 2 reasons a front projector is not an optimal solution for TV viewing....First Reason...as I mentioned...lamps are expensive....it's also not the most convenient thing in the world to fire up the projector to watch a TV show...especially if you have to set a screen up close the shades...etc. 2nd reason...if you have analog cable...the picture is most likely not going to be very good. Every see analog cable on an HDTV set? it looks horrible because you are limited by the quality of the source...GIGO = Garbage IN Garbage Out....this holds true even for some DVD's....take a look at a "good" dvd like Matrix 2 and compare it to a POS DVD like "Days of Thunder" and you will see what I mean.

2) A switch to turn the lights off is going to be all you need...not dim....off...for best quality. Some light is acceptable with most of the newer projectors, but alot of light is not. So if you watch during the day and you have alot of light....you'll need to invest in good light control.....just a warning.

3) If you can feasibly sit back about 12 feet from the screen that's 144 inches, so you are looking at a screen size of around 72-84" max. Not bad :) Plan out where the pj is going to be placed (table/wall/ceiling) and measure how far back it will be from the screen. Make sure the pj you choose can project an image the size you want from where it will be.

4) Component or DVI connections are the way to go....S-video is pretty good too. Be prepared to invest in a decent cable. Be aware that pjs are all different when it comes to cabling. Ie: the Infocus X1 can handle component input, but the signal must be at least 480p and you need a special cable......also that bypasses the onboard scaler.....things like this you need to address.

Yes....most if not all front projectors can hook up to a PC.

You'd be surprised how many people buy without looking! Best Buy won't cut it for demo's. You need to go to a HT store, which should be aplenty in NY. Don't let those guys put you down and tell you you need to spend $15,000....it's just not true.

RPTV's are available in LCD and DLP technologies....and no burn in.

Good Luck! You'll see in the under $3k forum the projectors people are buying. You may not even have to spend $3,000 to get what you want!

MQ25

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehe, thanks so much mquinn...

1. % breakdown would be something like 50% video games 40% DVD and 10%TV and HDTV (the difference would just be quality, correct?)

the pc should show fine on the projector right? i work in a hotel and i've seen pj's connected to laptops and they look pretty good.

2. ok, no problem there

3. it is possible to sit 12 feet away from the projector (although i'd be close to the wall since my room is only 13 feet in length =o) but i would say 10 or 11 feet. defintely want the projector on the ceiling, saves space.

4. component vs. dvi? is one better than the other? if not i'll have to look into that as well.

the av guy at my job also said that the higher the luminous, the better the projector, is that true?

so many questions, i'll refrain from asking too much...gonna go look at more posts, thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.