AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been slowly rebuilding my HTS and now it's time to start the receiver search.

Here's a list of my specifications for what I'm looking for.

THX Certified

No more than a 7.2 configuration

at least 100 watts per channel in a 5.1 setup

Receiver will power my NEW Klipsch RF series (signature)

I really like the Pioneer Elite and the Yamaha AVANTAGE series. Not a big Onkyo person but will consider if the heating issues have been addressed. Receiver will have plenty of air flow no worries there.

Suggestions and links will be appreciated

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Does it really have to be THX certified and why??? I have been an Onkyo fan but I can understand your hesitation cuz of HDMI board issues. If it were me I'd get Onkyo or Denon cuz of Audyssey Auto Room EQ. accessories4less.com has a refurbished Denon AVR-X4000 for $888.88 with free shipping. The X4000 has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with Sub EQ HT which is the best consumer Audyssey package. Its 125 Watts per channel.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Pioneer also has some THX certified units. Most of the manufacturers don't bother with the certification. Many of their products meet the THX specs but they don't wan't to pay the fees. If you want to play reference level with 4 ohm speakers then look for a receiver that can do that. Otherwise THX certification isn't terribly important.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch  /t/1523117/looking-for-best-thx-certified-reciever-for-under-1000#post_24497950

Hello,

I have been slowly rebuilding my HTS and now it's time to start the receiver search.

Here's a list of my specifications for what I'm looking for.

THX Certified

No more than a 7.2 configuration

at least 100 watts per channel in a 5.1 setup

Receiver will power my NEW Klipsch RF series (signature)

I really like the Pioneer Elite and the Yamaha AVANTAGE series. Not a big Onkyo person but will consider if the heating issues have been addressed. Receiver will have plenty of air flow no worries there.

Suggestions and links will be appreciated

Thanks.

I don't know about Pioneer, but none of the recent Yamaha Aventage line are THX certified.

I don't even believe any of the newer Denons feature THX cert anymore. Something like last years Onkyo 818 might be your best bet, if you also want Audessey XT32. They've had HDMI board failure problems, but Onkyo seems to be taking care of those who've had problems even outside of the warranty period. Adding an inexpensive exhaust fan on top might stave off potential problems, maybe indefinitely, since the board failures are supposedly due to heat buildup.

If you're just after THX re-equilization, many non-THX licensed products feature similar room re-eq.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts