AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently have a set of Adire Audio Kit281's, matching LCC center, AV8 surrounds, and Sunfire TrueSub MkII.

However, we are building a new house and I finally get a theater room with 3 rows of seating!

Trouble is, the room is quite narrow (12'x20') so I'll need to use in-walls for the surrounds (2 pair) and backs (1 pair).

Having said that, I'm looking for something in the $200/pair or less price range to fill out my surround requirements. As these are solely for surround duty, if there is something even less expensive that will get the job done, I'd love to save some cash. This is a temporary solution for the next 3-5 years when I hope to completely upgrade my entire audio system so I'm not too concerned about getting great sound quality, but I would like something that sounds better than tin cans and string

I've seen the htd speakers and they look reasonable for $130/pair but I can't seem to find any info on them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Russell

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
russ what the room size.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I would check out the THX-LCR and THX-SUR sold under both the HomeTech and HiFi Works brand. Both are identical and manufactured Sonance for the direct sales channel (where as most of their products are sold through custom installers). They are THX Select certified. The LCR is a standard monopole and the SUR is a bipole but can be fairly easily modded into a dipole. The LCR is built a bit heavier than the LCR and, in general, sounds a bit fuller. That said, the SUR's bipole (or modded dipole) configuration can be beneficial in situations like rear-wall surrounds in a 5.1 configuration. Shop around online, they're available from several retailers, sold individually, ranging from $50 - $100 each.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigvag,

Those look interesting. Have you purchased these or at least heard them? What is your opinion on them?

Stephen,

How do the sonance sound? I've not heard any sonance in person.

Paul,

Yeah, I saw the HTD speakers and they are intriguing and somewhat riskless with the 30 day trial period.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I'm happy enough with the THX-SURs. I chose them mainly for the fact that they were the only bipole in-wall I could find in my price range, and because Sonance is reputable with a solid reputation in in-walls. They're well built, use a rail mounting system instead of dog-ears, and and don't distract. In my situation they're in a sub-optimal placement (rear-wall, pitched ceiling) but the bipole nature helps create a diffuse sound field with decent imaging. The SUR needs to be modded to a dipole configuration if you plan on using it as a side-wall surround (which is strange given the THX spec).

I didn't install the THX-LCRs in my own home, but did install them in a friend's small theater along with SURs in the back. The LCRs are much heavier, due mainly to a deeper magnet on the mid. The tweeter is also 1" vs. the 2x3/4" on the SURs and looks to be of a bit better quality. The LCRs hold their own when paired with a decent sub. They're not very colored but also not extremely full in the low/midrange. They're neutral and work well for theater (their intended purpose), but I wouldn't want them as mains for music listening. If I could pick completely optimal placements, I'd probably use the LCR all around... but the SUR is very beneficial when doing rear-wall surrounds in a 5.1 system.

I'd say the whole series is a good step up from contracter-grade and entry-level in-walls. They're probably on-par with major-name entry-level in-walls, like the Polk RCi series, but at a notably reduced price. They're MUCH better than the BIC in-walls I have in my living room. They're probably represent the intermediate step between entry-level and higher-end lines like Sonance Moderno or Symphony line, or the lower end Speakercraft offerings.

Here's a link to my thread regarding these at the time of purchase. There are some fairly detailed pictures and some other thoughts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts