AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem last week. I have been doing a soft reboot on my 2020 about once a week as a PM routine. Thursday night I did this just before leaving the house. Upon returning I had 5 new scheduled and 2 theme recordings waiting. None would play...I eventually ended up deleting them. Play commands either did nothing, sent me to the default blue screen, sent me to a black screen, or sent me to a black screen with the FF logo emblazoned in the corner. Two more soft reboots yielded the same kind of behavior. Attmpted new recordings were just as dead. Trick play real-time recordings seemed to operate just fine. I had to unplug the unit for 5 minutes to get things back to normal. I did not lose any previous recordings or timers.

Monday, the thing acts up again. New recordings were not working again, and selecting any channel from either Dish or cable sent me to a black screen, even in live tv. Soft reboots were'nt working. Needing to leave for work, I unplugged the thing for 10 hours, came home, and everything is now fine again. Once again, no previous recordings or timers were lost.

Then today I read this:

"the ReplayTV sanity-checks its data structures at

startup, and if it finds unrecoverable corruption, it deletes them and starts fresh. You lose your

recordings, but you have a working box."

I sure hope this quote from JustMike is an oversimplification. While luckily, this didn't happen to me, it seems a little draconian to delete all recordings. This is more like something my 501 would do. I would rather limp along with a partly crippled box until I could at least dub off the existing recordings than to automatically wipe the slate at the first hint of trouble.

Another poster added that it's safer to unplug for 5 minutes than to do the warm reboot thing. So this (finally) brings me to my question: What is the safest way to recover from obvious operating errors or recording errors, and what should be done as preventative maintenance?...I'm a bit gunshy to try the soft reboot anymore. Please help, "Just" guys, or anyone who can.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The kind of problems you're describing sound like they could be heat related. You don't have the Replay in a cabinet or with another device on top of it, do you?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The method Mike described is pretty common in embedded systems. If there appears to be a problem which is causing the system to not work correctly the best chance to get it back is to attempt to restore the system from ROM, then get the rest of the files via an update or something.

Sucks, yes, but it works. As people have stated before there are ways to get the files off the disk, but not to restore the data files that work with those recordings.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, being as long-winded as I usually am, possibly everyone overlooked the obvious white elephant in the room during my original post. JustMike says that the box will reset at the first sign of real trouble, essentially....and eat your recordings in the process. If this is truly the case, why did I lose no recordings? I certainly had serious problems with the Replay OS at that point.

Over the last two years I've had other wacky issues that took 2 or more full reboots to cure, as well (but compared to Tivo and the 501 the Replay/SS is still comparitively very stable) and have never lost a recording, so I'm still confused about that and about whether the warm reboot is a good idea or not.

My Units all hve good ventilation. I understand the strategy of the ubiquitous sanity check and that it is fairly standard...its the HD wiping part that both makes me nervous and seems unnecessary.

So, once again, what is the best way to handle this? Warm reset? Cold reboot? Weekly? Only when necessary?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.