AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Budget - $500, can push up to $800 if need be.


2. Size requirements/limits: None.


3. Room dimensions: 14ft x 18ft.


4. Primary uses: 60% HT/TV viewing, 30% music, 10% gaming


5. Listening habits: Loud. Occasionally throw parties as well. But I'm most interested in DEEP BASS RESPONSE (i.e., 20Hz range, I want to feel my couch shake and hear the lows!).


6. Appearance requirements: None.


Current setup:


Denon 3311ci, Cerwin Vega VS-150 15" fronts (soon to be replaced by Polk Monitor 70's), Polk Monitor 30's for rears.


I'm a fan of deep bass over SPL. I was thinking the PSW505 for $200, or two of these, but the rated rolloff below 30Hz is not what I would like.


What subwoofers are there that have the full kick in the 20-25Hz range? HSU ends up being a bit pricey, BIC I'm not sure about, PA-120 I'm also not sure of frequency response. Hmmm..



Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/0


Man, if i were you i'd get in the on the black friday sale of the eD A5-350. Normally an 800 sub on sale for 700 shipped, and in stock, so you dont have the normal eD 45 day wait.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=914

Yep. This is a perfect deal for you. Jumps in it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
I like the Epik Legend myself at $499, but from you said, the eD is a better fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/19543684


Man, if i were you i'd get in the on the black friday sale of the eD A5-350. Normally an 800 sub on sale for 700 shipped, and in stock, so you dont have the normal eD 45 day wait.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=914

That's only $100 off MRSP? Seems like they could knock off more than that? Also what is the frequency response of this sub in the 20Hz range? Does it run close to flat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz /forum/post/19544738


That's only $100 off MRSP? Seems like they could knock off more than that? Also what is the frequency response of this sub in the 20Hz range? Does it run close to flat?

I agree, it's really not that much of a Black Friday sale. But still, it's a 100 bucks off. It really is a good option for you based on what you are looking for. Someday when funds permit you could add another 1. I think the best thing about it is the fact that you won't have to wait the normal 2-3 months to get it. That's the real savings right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19544767


I agree, it's really not that much of a Black Friday sale. But still, it's a 100 bucks off. It really is a good option for you based on what you are looking for. Someday when funds permit you could add another 1. I think the best thing about it is the fact that you won't have to wait the normal 2-3 months to get it. That's the real savings right there.

Yeah.. anyone else have any other Black Friday sale ideas? I was thinking HSU in VTF-3 in the $600ish range (if I can muster up the cash...)


Otherwise the Polk PSW505 x 2 would work as well.. but again I'm mostly interested in trying to stay at $500 or below.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz /forum/post/19544781


Yeah.. anyone else have any other Black Friday sale ideas? I was thinking HSU in VTF-3 in the $600ish range (if I can muster up the cash...)


Otherwise the Polk PSW505 x 2 would work as well.. but again I'm mostly interested in trying to stay at $500 or below.

Hell, it's only 200 bucks more and that's shipped! That really is a great price on a great sub. You'll definitely be happier with this sub over some lesser sub just to save a few extra dollars... I'm just saying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19544838


If you are interested in deep bass, the ED or Hsu is the way to go. The Polks will be mighty sad for deep bass extension.

That's what I've heard. The PSW505 seems to roll off at around 30Hz, says the average of the response from what I've been reading.


I'm not sure about the Epik Legend that people are talking about.. or ED. I'll have to check into those.. but again they are both pushing past the $500 limit I have..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz /forum/post/19545137


That's what I've heard. The PSW505 seems to roll off at around 30Hz, says the average of the response from what I've been reading.


I'm not sure about the Epik Legend that people are talking about.. or ED. I'll have to check into those.. but again they are both pushing past the $500 limit I have..

But in your thread topic you posted (might push it to $800 if need be..)



Really, going from 500-800 really opens up alot of nice options for you. A good sub can really give you that WOW factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19545169


But in your thread topic you posted (might push it to $800 if need be..)



Really, going from 500-800 really opens up alot of nice options for you. A good sub can really give you that WOW factor.

Hehe... it's called "staring at my wallet and wondering if the extra cash will really be worth it.." syndrome



I would ideally like to stay within $500, but if I can convince myself that there are a few options out there that will be insanely better for the extra couple of hundred, then I will decide for that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/19545018


If I had your money
I would go with the Epik Legend.


Jeff

If I were looking for a sub with $500 - $800 I wouldnt look at the Legend.


Go ported.
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

Black Friday sale
http://hsuresearch.com/


Instock, ready to ship.


When given a budget range, we here tend to use the upper $$$ limit as the budget
. Big performance difference with the additional $300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman /forum/post/19545324


If I were looking for a sub with $500 - $800 I wouldnt look at the Legend.


Go ported.
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

Black Friday sale
http://hsuresearch.com/


Instock, ready to ship.

But the VTF-3 won't have deep bass response unless I spend the extra $100-$150 for that "turbo" unit that extends the ports? Also they've only knocked off $70 off of regular price, with the usual $100 Shipping. There's gotta be better black Friday sales than that out there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz /forum/post/19545329


But the VTF-3 won't have deep bass response unless I spend the extra $100-$150 for that "turbo" unit that extends the ports? Also they've only knocked off $70 off of regular price, with the usual $100 Shipping. There's gotta be better black Friday sales than that out there...

Hey... we're not talking Walmart or Target here.



I think maybe a big reason why you won't see big discounts on these subs is due to mainly to the fact that the reason why they have Black Friday sales, is to get you into their stores to buy other stuff! They advertise certain items for sale, get you into the store, in the hopes that you will also buy other stuff while you're there. Most people who buy a sub, will only buy just the sub, and then call it a day. You're getting your hopes up for nothing I'm afraid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp /forum/post/19545384


Hey... we're not talking Walmart or Target here.



I think maybe a big reason why you won't see big discounts on these subs is due to mainly to the fact that the reason why they have Black Friday sales, is to get you into their stores to buy other stuff! They advertise certain items for sale, get you into the store, in the hopes that you will also buy other stuff while you're there. Most people who buy a sub, will only buy just the sub, and then call it a day. You're getting your hopes up for nothing I'm afraid.

Well I guess we all have to wait and see.. would be nice to get a deal though.. but I guess I've already spent countless hours doing my research and whenever I think I've narrowed it down to a few subs.. I get other mixed feelings/reviews and have to backtrack



It's just a real pain when the stores in our area (Canada) don't demo all the good stuff. So I'm really stuck having to be extra careful before I purchase, because once I've purchased there really is no returning it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
the only guys who do occasional (2-3 times a year) Black friday like sales on Subs is Outlaw Audio. Their LFM_EX is similar to the VTF-3 from Hsu. Right now they offer free shipping apparently but sometimes they offer a nice discount on top of it:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html


Sign up on their website so make sure you get an email if they have a sale.


Edit: SVS sound announced a Cyber Monday sale on their website, maybe that is something to watch for. However lately their regular prices for subs were somewhat on the high side compared to other ID companies like HSU, ED or Empire. SO even a sale may not be that great of a deal. I would vouch for the HSU 15" if I were you.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top