AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after trolling about in this forum (and others) for a few weeks, I've been unable to pinpoint what I really want out of a diy sub. I'm hoping you folks here don't mind giving me some advice.

FWIW, here's what I'm working with now:

Receiver: JVC RX-DV31SL ( http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...1&archive=true ) The LFE is set at 80hz.
Center: Polk CS 100
R/L Mains: Polk Monitor - 6" 2way ported (matched to the cs 100)
Surrounds: Atlantic Tech. dipoles.
Sub: dbx sw-15 (yes, the DAK special in all of its melamine finished glory). An Eosone RS 910 amp is driving the dbx sub from the receiver's LFE/sub out.

All of this is running in our living room which is roughly 13' x 26' (carpeted. 8' popcorn ceiling). Main listening position is approx 17' back from the front speakers (which are set on one of the 13' walls). Surrounds are just behind/above the main listening/viewing position (aka, the couch).

I'm not looking for bone jarring / teeth rattling bass for HT... and to be completely honest I think I want a sub that leans more towards accurate bass reproduction (i.e. more "musical" if you will). The wife unit and I may watch a couple of movies every week (after the kids go to bed).

I guess that the two primary motivations for upgrading my sub are 1) aesthetics - the dbx passive sub is 19x19x22 and is simply ugly (especially since my 2 year old has figured out how to peel the melamine vinyl coating off of it with her teeth) and 2) I'm not sure that the dbx sub / Eosone amp combo was a good idea to begin with.

Considering the equipment I have (which I know isn't top-o-the-line and is not likely to be upgraded anytime soon) I don't want to "overbuild" the sub.

And yes, whatever I do must pass aesthetic muster with SWMBO. She's tolerated the dbx sub for 14 years of marriage (clearly I bought it when I was single and free... but I digress).

One thing I considered... I have a 1960's Zenith Console Stereo (which, amazingly, still works). I'd thought about hiding a sub in there... but I don't want to cut it up too much.

What do y'all think I can do for less than $500 (preferably, way less)?

Peace!

Bengoshi2000

FYI - I'm reasonably good with tools and have a good friend with a very well equipped wood shop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16914271

How about a Dayton RSS390HO in a 17" cube with the O Audio 500W amp ?

I definitely like that combo... looks like that would be about $400 (giving me some headroom for aesthetics). I'm particularly fond of the EQ on that amp. I assume you are suggesting a sealed sub?

Could that driver be oriented in a down firing position (so I could disguise it as an end table)? (If I did it as a front firing sub, I'm afraid that my two year old would poke out the driver.)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengoshi2000 /forum/post/16914722

I definitely like that combo... looks like that would be about $400 (giving me some headroom for aesthetics). I'm particularly fond of the EQ on that amp. I assume you are suggesting a sealed sub?

Could that driver be oriented in a down firing position (so I could disguise it as an end table)? (If I did it as a front firing sub, I'm afraid that my two year old would poke out the driver.)

Correct, and yes. I love that woofer, it works great in smaller boxes and still achieves fairly deep high output results.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Why not take advantage of the huge ACI 12" woofer discount and put two of them in a box, drive them to insane levels with a EP2500??

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8639

You get no box resonance if you use two and with the EP2500 you have a sub $500 sub that can not be beat IMO.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16914804

I'm not sure exactly what the OPs size restrictions are, but those ACI woofers need abut 4.2 ft3 each sealed.

dont know either but 4 cuft is only 2x2x1
Twins would be pretty good for under $500.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16914843

Right, but what about 8 ft3

Two 4 cuft boxes, use them as stands for his polk Monitor speakers

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO /forum/post/16914873

Kevin over at www.diycable.com has a nice package deal on the Shiva x and a passive radiator for $235,You can check it out here... http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=691

Not much of a shipping deal....$50.00 for ground to Tampa Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16914782

You get no box resonance if you use two and with the EP2500 you have a sub $500 sub that can not be beat IMO.

Penngray, are you referring to push/pull, opposiing sides, or does dual front mount eliminate box resonance?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman2 /forum/post/16915267

Not much of a shipping deal....$82.00 for ground to Tampa Bay.

Penngray, are you referring to push/pull, opposiing sides, or does dual front mount eliminate box resonance?

if its in one box, opposing sides.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Simply put, the 12" ShivaX in 6.5 cuft tuned to 17hz with the Bash500 amp from PE is about as good as it gets in you budget. Build a downfiring end table to protect the driver from pets and children, making it functional as well. A 25" wide and deep enclosure with 3" feet and 25" overall height gives you a functional table and the needed intrnal volume. Maybe an inset glass top or ceramic tile, Oak plywood constuction with hardwood corners extending as the legs. Simple build, no veneer or paint and plenty of bass for a room that size at moderate levels. Materials and all should be less than $500. For a room that size and on a budget, sealed isn't gonna do it IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16914782

Why not take advantage of the huge ACI 12" woofer discount and put two of them in a box, drive them to insane levels with a EP2500??

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8639

Penn, your post is causing me confusion

A SV12 will exceed xmax @ 25hz with only 100 watts. Why recommend the EP2500?

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/16916571

Simply put, the 12" ShivaX in 6.5 cuft tuned to 17hz with the Bash500 amp from PE is about as good as it gets in you budget. Build a downfiring end table to protect the driver from pets and children, making it functional as well. A 25" wide and deep enclosure with 3" feet and 25" overall height gives you a functional table and the needed intrnal volume. Maybe an inset glass top or ceramic tile, Oak plywood constuction with hardwood corners extending as the legs. Simple build, no veneer or paint and plenty of bass for a room that size at moderate levels. Materials and all should be less than $500. For a room that size and on a budget, sealed isn't gonna do it IMO.

Do you know of any pics, or detailed designs for something like this? I've been interested in building a sub for a while and WAF is important.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16914804

I'm not sure exactly what the OPs size restrictions are, but those ACI woofers need abut 4.2 ft3 each sealed.

Not really, I put a pair into a 5.2 cu ft box and they crank. You have to add some EQ down low but I was able to get it flat to 20hz with only 1 channel of a QSC PLX2502.

If using the EP2500 you only need 1 channel to get them to sing like bandits. bridged would be too much unless you add a HPF.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/16935786

Not really, I put a pair into a 5.2 cu ft box and they crank. You have to add some EQ down low but I was able to get it flat to 20hz with only 1 channel of a QSC PLX2502.

If using the EP2500 you only need 1 channel to get them to sing like bandits. bridged would be too much unless you add a HPF.

Of course they will work in a smaller box, you just get a Q of .819 instead of .707.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16936166

Of course they will work in a smaller box, you just get a Q of .819 instead of .707.

Even at a Q of .7 it only offers extension to 32hz instead of 38 for a 2.5 cu ft box. Either one would benefit greatly from some sort of EQ to boost the low end.

I only used a 5 cu ft box as that is what I already had lying around but if I were to make a new box then 4 cu ft for a pair would be sufficient.

I like the idea of opposing the drivers as well to cancel out vibrations from the box. This is what I will probably do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.