AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am looking for a DIY sub project to build for my theater.

1. this will go behind an acoustically transparent screen, so size shape and WAF are non factors.

2. I would like to fill my theater with clean deep bass, that seems effortless

3. They will be mated to a klipsch rf83 front sound stage

I would like to hear my options for the DIY sub in the:

1,000; 2,000; and 3,000 price range (this needs to include the driver and amp.

I built the adire tempest DIY sub and was impressed, and really like the: here's what to order and how to build it plans... would be helpful if this sub came with that (cut list would fantastic).

Thanks in advance... you can see the theater space following the link in my signature.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Seems like a pair of MalX Easy-Buttons and an EP2500 would be great in the $1k realm IF the drivers were available. The TempestX drivers should be available soon, so a pair of those in Easy Buttons and one or a pair of EP2500s would also do you well in the $1k range.

In the $2k range I'd be looking at something like a Fathom112 clone, so a pair of JL 12W7-3s, an EP2500, and a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ. I'd also look at similar Gotham clone in the $3k range using a pair of 13W7-D1.5s, a Crown XTi 2000, and a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pardon my ignorance... but what are easy buttons... I immediately think Staples!!

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj /forum/post/15544662

Pardon my ignorance... but what are easy buttons... I immediately think Staples!!

Easy Buttons are subwoofer plans by a forum member. Just do a search in the diy sub forum and you'll find them.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It's how the people in an office depot commercial would chose a subwoofer design... proven designs, cut-lists, and usually slot-ports (so no need to buy more expensive flared ports). Some even include rough cut-lists (easier to get home from Home Depot, room for error by the 16yr old kid operating the 8' tall circular saw) along with finished cut-lists to get everything to the actual dimensions you need.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Since you have that nice empty room to the right of the screen wall, you could build an infinite baffle array using a manifold that exits near the screen.

8 Exodus DPL 15's (4 on each side of a floor to ceiling manifold) would run about $1150 and with a hefty pro amp, you could stay under $2K. That would give you a very tight musical sub that could play subsonic at high levels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts