AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I'm currently in the process of planning my AV setup in my newly remodeled basement. From doing some research and reading through threads, I've learned that I would probably have to spend at least $700 on a sub to get any decent output in a large room, and even then I would most likely wish for more. It seems like the move for people in my position is to go the DIY route. Now I'm here. The room is roughly 32 ft x 14 ft (8.5 ft ceilings). The The listening/viewing area does not take up this space, but, as I've learned, this does not matter. This seems very strange to say with the room size, but there is not that much available space for a subwoofer. I've identified 2 suitable areas for a sub, and have taken some pictures and measurements for you guys to see (don't judge on the mess, it's the renos' fault:D) . The first area is beside the couch parallel to the TV where the '1' arrow points in the picture. The distance from the couch to the start of the door is about 22 inches. The second area is the space behind the corner part of the sectional where the '2' arrow is pointing. This area is triangular in shape. Dimensions illustrated in the second picture.
Because the double doors on both sides of the fire place, I don't think front placement is realistic. I'm considering a Low profile Tuba HT behind the corner part of the sectional. I've read alot of great things about the THT. The step by step plans available also lure me to this build because I've never built a sub before. That being said, I have all necessary tools and consider myself pretty handy. I would like to keep a budget low at around $500. Any advice or recommendations for a build would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You're going to want a minimum of 2 subs with seating like that. 1 sub on corner couches is usually a really poor freq response, you'll get 4 bad seats and 1 good seat. With two subs you'll get at least 4 seats that are good, all of them if you're lucky

I'd just go two SI 18 DS4's in the biggest ported boxes you can do, tuned to about 18 hz. And an inuke 6000DSP powering them

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Another option to consider, depending on what the adjoining rooms are used for would be to install an IB setup. This way you're taking up zero floor space and can get the woofage you need for that large space.

Or the other option would be to build the subs into End Table or an Ottoman/coffee table, but in your budget this might not be possible.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I agree you'll want two. Making them into end tables is pretty easy if you have tools and are competent like you stated you are. No real tricks to it. You'll want to start with 1 and then add a second later as you save a bit more money - should be able to build them both under $1k. The first sub is the most expensive because you have to buy the amp; the second is just the sub because the amps have 2 channels. Also, really cool room...digging the rustic vibe.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yep, what Bassment said, best bang for your dollar with great SQ too.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
In spot 2 you might be able to fit 4 sealed SI-18's in that corner box. It might have to be sealed though, or tuned no deeper than 20hz ported. Powered with a nu6kDSP.

In spot 1 you might be able to fit 2 dual-opposed SI-18's powered with another nu6kDSP. Or 1 20hz ported SI-18 powered with a nu3kdsp

You should be able to fit AT LEAST 3 SI-18's and 9kW between those two spots, which would get you quite a bit of bass. Possibly more bass than you need, depending on how much of a basshead you are...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the feedback. So I'm going to start with one behind the corner sectional with the opportunity to add another in spot 1 in the picture. I know there are lots of build threads, but is there a common design/plans that would work for my application? Also should I rule out the Tuba HT subs?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
I personally do not know much about the Tuba subs but I can assure you the Stereo Integrity 18DS4 is a great option. If you can cut the wood yourself or have someone do it for you check out this:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html
There is some great info in here. I used it as well as countless others when building my subs. If you have basic tools it can be done. If you do not have access to a saw you can go to this:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/
Erich sells the kits for different subs the wood is already cut saves a lot of time.
Hope this can be of some help.

Reactions: dkscism

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You'll be happy with the THTLP. I recommend the inuke 1000dsp and the dayton HF 15 at 24" or the dayton HF 12 at 17" wide.

It helps alot if you can cut all of you panel widths on a table saw so they all match. Or use a flush trim or pattern bit in your router to make them all the same width.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts