AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a DVD player...as small as possible. I don't want one of the portables that have a screen on them, as I will be plugging virtual reality glasses into it (composite video)...obviously I'm not that concerned with video quality since I'm going composite...anything will be better than putting a scan converter on the output of my computer video card...ughh

One that would fit in a 7-8" wide space would be great...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
What's a scan converter and why would using your PC rate an "ughh"? Also, do your glasses require a composite connection?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The glasses only have a composite video connection.

The scan converter converts the signal coming out of a video card from VGA to Composite video...but does not retain good image at all. If you have a computer with one of the S-Video outputs, plug it into your television set and see what I mean.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
What dimension is most important to you when you say small? I've found that most of the DVD players today try to be "slim" and that means smaller height, but those with smallest height (under 2") seem to get a bigger depth - and all have about the same width of 16-17". The smallest depth unit I've found is the Mitsubishi models, about 8" deep compared to 10-11" deep on the others plus a height of 2.25" or so. I saw the Mitsubishi DD-6040 for $99 at Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree, s-video from a PC is pretty bad. I imagine that composite would be even worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking about having the dvd player sit ontop of the computer tower, which is sitting in a cabinet designed for a computer...which means the cavity is about 8.5" wide, 18" deep, and 22" tall

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would imaging front loading...but I'm open to either...the cabinet the tower sits in has 2 doors in the front of it that swing open, so it's expected to have to open the doors to insert a dvd into the device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.