AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Panasonic plasma display (no tuner) that I would like to pair up with a DVR that has a clear QAM tuner for cable. My cable provider has several local HD digital channels available without using a converter. I found a Toshiba that records to DVD but I would prefer a HDD. I really don't want to rent another $30 HD DVR from the cable company as this TV doesn't really get a lot of use. Does anyone make such a device?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19589968

If you can stand to muck around with us std def recorder bums, the Magnavox MDR515H/F7 described here would be a good choice.

Well I'm already doing that. I have a first generation Panasonic DVR with HDD (DMR-E80H) which was horrendously expensive when I got it. The cable tuner is a 64QAM which does not get any digital channels. I still use it a lot though. I also have an LG HD DVR which has a SD QAM tuner and an OTA HD tuner. The program guide went away with analog broadcast making it a bear to set up and use but I still do as well.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude /forum/post/19590218

the intro indicates "the only standalone products still available...." sort of implies there is no market for this?

The market for non-provider-supplied HDD DVRs in the USA is limited because:

(a) Units without CableCard capability can record only OTA or clear QAM channels which are usually limited to the local broadcast channels. 10% or less of TV viewers in the USA use OTA as their primary source, and most people with cable service who want to record, want to record more than just the local broadcast channels. Analog basic cable is disappearing, and digital basic cable is usually encrypted except for the local broadcast channels.

(b) The units with CableCard capability (Tivo, Moxi) are expensive. Few people want to cough up that much money up front, preferring to pay a monthtly fee to rent a DVR from their cableco even though it's more expensive in the long haul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.