AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wonder if you guys can help guide my to a new DVR, I've had a Sylvania for almost 9 years that's worked great until a few days ago, decided I've gotten my money outs it and it's time to try and find
a new one. A friend suggested the new channel master dvr+ but upon inspection of the online manual
it doesn't seem to have a HDMI input. I have a cable set top box that has a HDMI output so I'd
like to be able to record that instead of non digital.
Does anyone know of a DVR that'll record HDMI, output HDMI to the big TV and allow me to
fast forward?
I like most of the channel master dvr+, especially the external hard drive.
Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks a bunch, LLAP

73, Ron W4RON
visit my antique radio collection
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/
see my vacuum tube collection
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Tube_Collection.html

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I know of no DVR with HDMI input. There are, however, at least two ways to record scrambled SD and HD cable. Both use a CableCard. One is made by Tivo and requires a monthly or Lifetime license to use it and the other is a PC running Windows Media Center with an appropriate tuner. WMC does not require a monthly fee for guide service.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Windows 7 has a built in DVR that is FREE to use.

It will descramble encrypted cable without the need to rent a Cablebox from the provider. It can do up to 6 channels at once, and will distribute it to 6 TV's, as well (all able to view independent programming).

Really can't go wrong with Windows 7 and Windows Media Center. You just have to rent a CableCARD from your provider, which can be "they give you money back for using their equipment" up to $5/month (Verizon FiOS)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Windows 7 has a built in DVR that is FREE to use.

It will descramble encrypted cable without the need to rent a Cablebox from the provider. It can do up to 6 channels at once, and will distribute it to 6 TV's, as well (all able to view independent programming).

Really can't go wrong with Windows 7 and Windows Media Center. You just have to rent a CableCARD from your provider, which can be "they give you money back for using their equipment" up to $5/month (Verizon FiOS)
Wouldn't you need cableCARD tuner to actually descramble encrypted cable channels without cablebox? Doing it with Win 7 Windows Media Center can actually just pick up whatever is hooked up to cable is only basic channels which with cableCARD you can watch premium channels like HBO and such. Or at least it is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Wouldn't you need cableCARD tuner to actually descramble encrypted cable channels without cablebox? Doing it with Win 7 Windows Media Center can actually just pick up whatever is hooked up to cable is only basic channels which with cableCARD you can watch premium channels like HBO and such. Or at least it is my understanding.
It is pretty much given that you need a hardware device to interact between the coax cable and the software DVR.

ClearQAM is no more in the US. You need CableCARD to pick up ANY cableTV channels. Free TV is only available over the air with an antenna. Once again, You need a hardware device to interact between the antenna and the DVR software.

Either way, the DVR software is free, and gets free TV guide listings for whichever signal you use to record.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is pretty much given that you need a hardware device to interact between the coax cable and the software DVR.

ClearQAM is no more in the US. You need CableCARD to pick up ANY cableTV channels. Free TV is only available over the air with an antenna. Once again, You need a hardware device to interact between the antenna and the DVR software.

Either way, the DVR software is free, and gets free TV guide listings for whichever signal you use to record.
Ah. That clarifies it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts