AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a bare bones for HTPC and general computing (no gaming). Looking to cut the cord and capture over the air signals here in the greater Washington DC area (Montgomery county MD). Any comments on the following?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856272001

and....

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=011004001506_BQ78598P.shtml

Also, when purchasing an antenna, what are my considerations? Would something like this suffice?

http://www.target.com/p/ge-millennium-tv-antenna/-/A-12269503#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=antenna

Anything I'm not thinking of? I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I would go for intel instead

I would recommend the SiliconDust HDhomerun dual instead of wintv as well

As for antenna, you can go with this on the cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576004 or pay more for the Mohu Leaf. If you think you need an amplified antenna, Mohu usually has a refurbished model that goes for a decent price at fry's from time to time. Check slickdeals

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go for intel instead

I would recommend the SiliconDust HDhomerun dual instead of wintv as well

As for antenna, you can go with this on the cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576004 or pay more for the Mohu Leaf. If you think you need an amplified antenna, Mohu usually has a refurbished model that goes for a decent price at fry's from time to time. Check slickdeals
Thanks, appreciate it. Can you tell me a bit about why you'd opt for an Intel CPU and the SiliconDust over the Hauppage? I watch in only one location, so I don't really need the networked capability, and I don't have a remote so I will need one (though I would guess I can always get one separately?)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Intel CPUs are more powerful, and use less energy (and thus produce less heat/fan noise) than the equivalent AMD CPU.

SiliconDust tuners are network based, and can therefore work with more than 1 computer at a time and more devices than just a computer (ServerWMC aside, which isn't very OOBE like the SD tuners are naturally). Going SiliconDust gives you much more avenues to branch out into (whether you ever use it or not), with no disadvantage over the Hauppage basically.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intel CPUs are more powerful, and use less energy (and thus produce less heat/fan noise) than the equivalent AMD CPU.

SiliconDust tuners are network based, and can therefore work with more than 1 computer at a time and more devices than just a computer (ServerWMC aside, which isn't very OOBE like the SD tuners are naturally). Going SiliconDust gives you much more avenues to branch out into (whether you ever use it or not), with no disadvantage over the Hauppage basically.
Cool. Then I'd just buy a separate remote control? Any pitfalls to avoid there, or just get whatever one looks good from newegg?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

+1 pretty much everything I was thinking

Even though SD tuners are network based their tuning is extremely responsive to start/stop

I like flirc for remotes (use any remote giving you a lot of flexibility to control other things with the same remote). HPs ehome receiver works well for a windows HTPC paired with one of the popular remotes like the x360 or the u-verse looking original microsoft remote (both of those are popular because they have separate buttons for TV power/volume that are programmable)

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Whether you want a universal or not, you NEED one unless you just like juggling remotes. The Microsoft one is nice but very rare and expensive these days. Any universal will work. I recently linked a $3 one in another thread that does MCE and 3 other devices, volume punch thru, fully programmable (activities, map any function to any key, add discrete functions, etc.). Flirc is the most flexible option as stated above. But any MCE/RC6 will cover the basics just fine.

Also consider that a network tuner is completely OS and hardware agnostic. So you can replace your OS or PC completely and the network tuner will still work fine. My latest HTPC has no PCIe slots, so I'd have been SOL with a PCIe tuner card.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi all,

Looking to cut the cord and capture over the air signals here in the greater Washington DC area (Montgomery county MD).

Also, when purchasing an antenna, what are my considerations? Would something like this suffice?

Anything I'm not thinking of? I appreciate your help.
Go to tvfool website (http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=1) and plug in your address, it will show where the tv towers are, how far, strength, etc. Another one is http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

They will give you an idea of type on antenna to get...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whether you want a universal or not, you NEED one unless you just like juggling remotes. The Microsoft one is nice but very rare and expensive these days. Any universal will work. I recently linked a $3 one in another thread that does MCE and 3 other devices, volume punch thru, fully programmable (activities, map any function to any key, add discrete functions, etc.). Flirc is the most flexible option as stated above. But any MCE/RC6 will cover the basics just fine.

Also consider that a network tuner is completely OS and hardware agnostic. So you can replace your OS or PC completely and the network tuner will still work fine. My latest HTPC has no PCIe slots, so I'd have been SOL with a PCIe tuner card.
Would you please share the link to the $3 one you mentioned? Sounds like a deal. I did a search in the forums and could not find your other post.

Thanks so much, all. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Would you please share the link to the $3 one you mentioned? Sounds like a deal. I did a search in the forums and could not find your other post.

Thanks so much, all. Appreciate it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-C...E-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-Free-Shipping/281568464231

MCE code is DVD 1972. I can also post individual command codes for any functions you'd like to add or move to different buttons. Ortek code is not built in and would have to be loaded from PC/Mac/Linux.

This is currently the cheapest of about 100 different JP1 remote models. If you want a different layout or different features, post back with your requirements.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 pretty much everything I was thinking

Even though SD tuners are network based their tuning is extremely responsive to start/stop

I like flirc for remotes (use any remote giving you a lot of flexibility to control other things with the same remote). HPs ehome receiver works well for a windows HTPC paired with one of the popular remotes like the x360 or the u-verse looking original microsoft remote (both of those are popular because they have separate buttons for TV power/volume that are programmable)
It looks like the "Prime" silicondust features premium channels (with cablecard) but only does SD over wireless, whereas the "Extend" silicondust does HD over wireless. This creates a choice - which am I more likely to use, wireless or premium channels. Any ideas why the middle tier option offers HD but the top tier does not? Seems like the "cadillac" should do everything..?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-C...E-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-Free-Shipping/281568464231

MCE code is DVD 1972. I can also post individual command codes for any functions you'd like to add or move to different buttons. Ortek code is not built in and would have to be loaded from PC/Mac/Linux.

This is currently the cheapest of about 100 different JP1 remote models. If you want a different layout or different features, post back with your requirements.
Thanks again!

Question: this does not seem to include an IR receiver. Would that be purchased separately, and what are the considerations there?

Appreciate your assistance and patience.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Thanks again!

Question: this does not seem to include an IR receiver. Would that be purchased separately, and what are the considerations there?

Appreciate your assistance and patience.
It does not. It's simply a universal cable tv remote that has MCE codes and is very inexpensive and programmable. You would have to buy an MCE/RC6 (not Ortek/Adesso/Vista, Diamond or Chinavision) IR dongle.

BTW, I use this $150 computer as my HTPC. If you want to save some money, you may want to consider something like that. Mine also has the added benefit of being very small, quiet, cool and energy efficient (20W at full load, 10W at idle).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA15T21R0850

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
What else do you need/want to put inside your HTPC as far as hard drives, etc.?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does not. It's simply a universal cable tv remote that has MCE codes and is very inexpensive and programmable. You would have to buy an MCE/RC6 (not Ortek/Adesso/Vista, Diamond or Chinavision) IR dongle.

BTW, I use this $150 computer as my HTPC. If you want to save some money, you may want to consider something like that. Mine also has the added benefit of being very small, quiet, cool and energy efficient (20W at full load, 10W at idle).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA15T21R0850
That's a tempting deal! I like how power-efficient it is. And it even comes with Windows... but unfortunately Win8 (I prefer 7).

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It looks like the "Prime" silicondust features premium channels (with cablecard) but only does SD over wireless, whereas the "Extend" silicondust does HD over wireless. This creates a choice - which am I more likely to use, wireless or premium channels. Any ideas why the middle tier option offers HD but the top tier does not? Seems like the "cadillac" should do everything..?
Negative, you just have to use decent wireless. Cable channels are only about 10-18 Mbps, so when the prime dumps all of that straight to your device it just needs to be able to keep up with that bit rate

For perspective that's typically less than half the bit rate of blu ray which can be steamed wirelessly on high performing 2x2 N WiFi (and easily on average performing 2x2 ac WiFi). There are a plethora of newer phones out there that can handle it like the LG G2/G3, Note 3/4, s4/5/6, droid turbo, etc. The WiFi spec is what matters for this, and there are a number of tablets with 2x2 WiFi as well

·
Registered
91 Posts
One thing to note is that the HDHomeRun Prime is for Cable only and requires a cablecard.
The HDHomeRun Dual supports ATSC for OTA antennas and unencrypted digital cable.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts