AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) what is the difference between a home theatre speaker vs. a regular speaker to listen to CD music only?

I want to replace my front left / right channel, as well as my sub-woofer. My current Front Left / right is Klipsch RP160 ebony

Is magepan Mini Maggie any good as left / right chnl. speaker for 5.1 system?

and what about this set from Paradigm, can they be used as home theatre 5.1 front left/right chnl.? and what country makes Paradigm?

https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/series=millenia/model=millenia-lp-2/page=overview

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

as to my sub-woofer, I need a sub-woofer made in USA. My current sub-woofer is from Klipsch, on occasion, it has a humming sound at idle. My current Klipsch 5.1 sys. at $2600 is only 6 mth. old

my receiver is Yamaha 5.1 RX v573

as to the Paradigm, on the photo, it's used as left / right, but why do they need 5 drivers?

and I also found Martin Logan, so between Martin Logan vs. Paradigm, I would like to know what country make their speakers?

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-slm

·
Registered
68 Posts
? Do you already have your center and rear surr's? Or are you starting from scratch. Try to find something that matches what you have. From the choices you have here , none of them play well with others, or you better do your research, for matching Specs. on mixing these brands. I own a 5.1 Magneplanar system, tried to match a different speaker for side surr's, none of them sounded quite right. Only speaker I know for sure is made in the USA is Magneplanar. Hope this helps, my experience is just past newbie, so I'll be interested to here other replies.
Also you get more bang for your $$$ with Maggies,IF you like there sound.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
happy hopping said:
1) what is the difference between a home theatre speaker vs. a regular speaker to listen to CD music only? ...
A good speaker will do HT and music equally well.

... Is magepan Mini Maggie any good as left / right chnl. speaker for 5.1 system? ...
According to the product page you linked to the Mini Maggie is not wall-mountable.

... and what about this set from Paradigm, can they be used as home theatre 5.1 front left/right chnl.? ...
Yes.

... and what country makes Paradigm? ...
Canada.

... as to my sub-woofer, I need a sub-woofer made in USA. ...
PowerSoundAudio.com

... as to the Paradigm ... why do they need 5 drivers? ...
Why not?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those Paradigm's look awesome and a perfect match for your 80W per channel Yamaha receiver. Magnepan's are power hungry, these Paradigm's matched Left, Center & Right are really a perfect choice (2 low end, 2 mids, single tweeter the reason for 5 drivers), they have a couple subwoofers in their lineup as well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought the Klipsch RP160 system. The right chnl. is too big, I can't open the door fully. So I'm forced to get a pair of slim front right/left to replace the current pair.

how do you know there is a mis match? I'm not an audiophile ear person, I suppose I can get the center chnl. from Paradigm as well.

I'll skip the mini maggie then. That website is so disorganized, it's like programmed by a 5 yr. old child

Audioplus93, I didn't notice about my yamaha until you mentioned it, what does it mean when it says:

80W, rated output power (2 chnl. driven)

vs.

115W output power (1 chnl. driven)?

·
Registered
18,370 Posts
  1. what is the difference between a home theatre speaker vs. a regular speaker to listen to CD music only?
  2. Is magepan Mini Maggie any good as left / right chnl. speaker for 5.1 system?
  3. what country makes Paradigm?
  4. as to my sub-woofer, I need a sub-woofer made in USA.
  5. and I also found Martin Logan, so between Martin Logan vs. Paradigm, I would like to know what country make their speakers?
  6. I bought the Klipsch RP160 system. The right chnl. is too big, I can't open the door fully. So I'm forced to get a pair of slim front right/left to replace the current pair.
1. If you are an "analytical" music listener and/or simply enjoy a neutral/bright sound, then there is no difference. If you prefer a "warm" speaker for music, then it is NOT the same. However, for most people a "neutral" speaker is a good-enough middle ground when building a system for both HT and music.

2. Probably, yes. But you'll only know for sure when YOU hear it, in YOUR room, on YOUR equipment. Nobody can predict what you'll like or not like.

3. Paradigm is a Canadian brand. Not sure if they're still making their speakers in Canada or if they've outsourced production to Asia like everyone else.

4. Almost nothing is truly "made in the USA" anymore except for maybe a handful of very small and very expensive brands. The closest you will get is that the PARTS are made in Asia, then shipped to the US and assembled here. Power Sound Audio proudly states "Made in the USA" on its website, but you should call/email them to ask exactly to what extent that is true.

5. Martin Logan is an American brand, IIRC. Again, I would be surprised if they haven't outsourced production to China like almost everybody else.

6. How did you like the SOUND of the Klipsch speakers? Did you do any prolonged (as in, 2-8 hours) listening? Did you experience any listening fatigue, or were you completely happy with the sound? This will tell us a lot about your personal preferences.

7. Take a measuring tape, and go measure exactly at which point your right RP-160 is blocking the door...that will tell us the EXACT maximum depth you need. Without that precise NUMBER, we can't really provide much useful info.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I listen to my CD in another room w/ another pair of speaker, so as long as the speaker I pick can do well w/ home theatre, that's good enough for me.

I'm very happy w/ the Klipsch Rp160 set. I only use it for movies in blu-ray, and watch TV such as talk show. Any speaker can do talk show , so it's really the blu-ray movie that I care about. No listening fatigue even if I watch a hand full of movies.

I'm not happy w/ the Klipsch for that hummning noise problem, and on a minor thing: there is a single static "spark" sound whenever a movie starts. My prev. set is also Klipsch, and it doesn't have that probleem, with cable and receiver being the exact same.

the only reason I said made in USA is for the above reason, I thought better quality speaker can fix those humming noise and static sound. My prev. Klipsch set is made in USA, and it works fine for 25+ yr.

The speaker is so big that the door can only open up to 60 degree. So the door can't open flat at 90 deg., ie.., I'm short 30 deg.

the previous speaker set is fine, I can open the door totally flat at 90 deg., parallel to the LED TV

·
Registered
18,370 Posts
The speaker is so big that the door can only open up to 60 degree. So the door can't open flat at 90 deg., ie.., I'm short 30 deg.
I'm sorry, but "30 degrees" is completely useless information.

We need to know the MAXIMUM DEPTH in INCHES that any speaker can be if placed in the same position, in order to allow the door to open flat.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the max. depth is approx. 5.5 in. I know the Paradigm is 1.25"to 4.??" depends on the model. But I prefer input power to be 100W. But I do need to sort out that 1 chnl. vs.2 chnl. thing w/ my yamaha

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Reactions: RayGuy

·
Registered
18,370 Posts
the max. depth is approx. 5.5 in. I know the Paradigm is 1.25"to 4.??" depends on the model. But I prefer input power to be 100W. But I do need to sort out that 1 chnl. vs.2 chnl. thing w/ my yamaha
Don't worry about power specs, they're basically meaningless most of the time since there is no industry standard and manufacturers regularly pull numbers out of their backsides for sales purposes.

Just avoid low impedance (4 ohms) and low sensitivity (under 86db) speakers and you'll be perfectly fine 95% of the time.

This is a speaker that with a 4.9" depth, company is based in Dallas, you can call them up and ask about where actual manufacturing is done.
https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I enjoy my made in Denmark speakers and made in the UK amp!!

Why is made in the USA so important?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://www.definitivetechnology.com/home-audio/on-wall-speakers

what about this brand? they have this XTR-60 made in china? any good?

CAllas01, it doesn't has to be made in USA, made in Canada is fine. As to products made in UK or France, etc., I don't think I can afford it. I'll paid $3K to $4K on all 6 speakers if I sold my set, if not, I'll just buy the left / right chnl., perhaps even the right chnl. only as a temporary solution

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Don't worry about power specs, they're basically meaningless most of the time since there is no industry standard and manufacturers regularly pull numbers out of their backsides for sales purposes.

Just avoid low impedance (4 ohms) and low sensitivity (under 86db) speakers and you'll be perfectly fine 95% of the time.

This is a speaker that with a 4.9" depth, company is based in Dallas, you can call them up and ask about where actual manufacturing is done.
https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1
I can't find the warranty on this item, how many yr. is it?

and what happens if the speaker nominal impedance is only 4 ohm? how is that no. vs. the 8 ohm speakers?

·
Registered
18,370 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have narrow down to Dali, Opticon LCR, they are handmade in Denmark, w/ wild range in price, currently at GBP499 per speaker

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/opticon/opticon-lcr/

their spec. is here:

https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/1669/opticon-whitepaper.pdf

w/ nominal impedence at 4 Ohm, Senstiivty at 90.5 dB, 18 lb.

then another one that stood out is Paradigm Millenia 30,

https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/series=millenia/model=millenia-30/page=specs

its nominal impedance is 8 Ohm, at Sensitivity is 91dB or 94dB, depends on their spec.

This Paradigm series is 5 driver per speaker, and I never have a pair of speaker w/ that many driver before.

I am kind of looking at Definitive Technology, but I know nothing about this brand.

I welcome any input on the choice between these 2 to 3 brands

I also look into Axiom, but their speaker is so heavy, 50 lb., w/ 2 little metal clip to snap in, and I don't feel comfortable hanging a 50 lb. speaker on a wall.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/m80-on-wall-speaker

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I own a small pair of Dali speakers they are made in Denmark, the woofers are made by a company in Norway (if I recall) but the tweeters are built by Dali. Very good speakers I think. I have their entry level Concept 1s from their older lines with an entry level onkyo AVR in our bedroom.

The Rubicon LCR is $1695 (retail) per pair. But you can order a single as well. I have not heard this speaker but I have heard the in-wall phantom speakers and they’re very good.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
No one mentions Totem Tribe? They have 4 series at different price/performance levels (Tribe I, II, III, or V) and they're all 3-1/2" deep or 3-3/4" with grills. Incredible speakers, made in Canada.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I also look into Axiom, but their speaker is so heavy, 50 lb., w/ 2 little metal clip to snap in, and I don't feel comfortable hanging a 50 lb. speaker on a wall.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/m80-on-wall-speaker
I have a set of the m22 in walls, that I used hanging on wall for a while (There was nothing wrong with them performance wise. In fact, they rocked! I just went with a different ascetic)

hanging 50 lbs on the wall is not a problem if you do it correctly - mounted to a stud is best, but there are other methods that will work for that weight. visit home depot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts