AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


I have a large high ceiling living room. Because of the way the room is built, I have to put the front speakers very close to the wall. After much reading, it seems that I have to go with the front port speakers. Unfortunately, most of the recommended speakers here are either rear port, or has rear port. (I still need to get my terms correct.) So, do you have any recommendations on good front port speakers? My budget is less than $2k. Another requirement is that the depth of the speaker needs to be no more than 13". I know, I'm asking a lot. :)


BTW, the speakers will be driven by a Yamaha RX-V2700.


Any help is appreciated!


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguytobe /forum/post/0


Hi,


I have a large high ceiling living room. Because of the way the room is built, I have to put the front speakers very close to the wall. After much reading, it seems that I have to go with the front port speakers. Unfortunately, most of the recommended speakers here are either rear port, or has rear port. (I still need to get my terms correct.) So, do you have any recommendations on good front port speakers? My budget is less than $2k. Another requirement is that the depth of the speaker needs to be no more than 13". I know, I'm asking a lot. :)


BTW, the speakers will be driven by a Yamaha RX-V2700.


Any help is appreciated!


Thanks!

Axiom M50 is one option, which fits both your requirements (front ported and 13" deep)
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50ti_main.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,978 Posts
What about a non-ported, sealed speaker? Is that not an option?


As far as front-ported speakers go, I'll chime in with "KEF".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,701 Posts
I will say one of my favorites, HTD Level 3 Towers . Great peformance at a great price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
FOCAL CHORUS 826V Has a front and bottom port, fantastic speakers that cant be beat for the money, just read the new review in Sound & Vision, they are featured on the cover of this months edition with 'Ear Candy" above them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Easy. Look at the PMC GB-1's Absolutely gorgeous sounding speaker. Front ported (actually, they are transmission lines) and only 9 1/2" deep. I believe we are getting in some CES demos in Cherry, perfect condition, easily in your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the recommendations! That's why I love this forum. I bought my RX-V2700 after reading the advice here. Now it's time to do reading/auditioning for the speakers. The speakers don't actually need to be front ported. Sealed will be fine, as long as they sound good.


One thing I forgot to mention is that I eventually will have a 6+1 setup.


I'll post back after my research.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
Just another sugg., the Paradigm Studio series, is all front ported. I also had some placement problems, and the front ports do make a difference !!!

I too have a really large great room, and was looking for something that would have enought uumph to fill that area, and ended up with a 5 speaker Paradigm setup. My budget was higher though. Here

Im thrilled to death with the Studio 100's. they are awesome.


good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,900 Posts
Are you using a subwoofer? If so, you don't need big speakers that reproduce much below 80 Hz, which is where a port functions. And why do you need a ported design? The execution of the design, driver quality, enclosure integrity, etc., have more to do with the accuracy of the speaker than if it's sealed, bass reflex, ported, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0


What about a non-ported, sealed speaker? Is that not an option?


As far as front-ported speakers go, I'll chime in with "KEF".

Non-ported will be fine, as long as they sound good. Any suggestions? Right now I have 2 Polk Audio RT-600, and want to upgrade them to something better.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/0


Are you using a subwoofer? If so, you don't need big speakers that reproduce much below 80 Hz, which is where a port functions. And why do you need a ported design? The execution of the design, driver quality, enclosure integrity, etc., have more to do with the accuracy of the speaker than if it's sealed, bass reflex, ported, etc.

That's a good question. Actually, I will buy either a SVS or HSU sub, again, after reading on this forum. :) Most speakers I've auditioned are either rear-ported, or bi-ported. I guess a better description of my question is what speakers should I get for a open, large, high ceiling living room, and the speakers need to be placed against the wall, and need to be less than 13" deep. I know my room is not acoustically good, but I got work with what I have. ^_^


Currently I'm open to all recommendations that fit my requirements.


Thanks!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top