AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good keyboard for my Voodoo ARIA HTPC setup. The keyboard should have the following qualities:

1. Integrated touchpad (preferably with vertical AND horizontal scrolling) so that a separate mouse is not necessary

2. Full size (not one of those little mini jobs)

3. Capable of reaching 12 feet with high reliability (I'm guessing Bluetooth is the best bet)

I had originally bought the Logitech diNovo Edge. This is an awesome keyboard, but it has a MAJOR design flaw: Whenever you place the board in its charging cradle, your PC powers on all by itself! Any attempt to shut the PC down will result in the unit just booting right back up again. Logitech came up with a bunch of ridiculous suggestions (unplug the BT dongle or the charger when you want to shut down, keep the charger in a different room - more than 30' away, etc) but none of these are remotely practical. Logitech says they have no plans of fixing this "Wake on Bluetooth" problem. I imagine they will simply discontinue this keyboard. (I’ve already seen them on Clearance or Closeout.) DON'T buy this keyboard unless you enjoy disconnecting your hardware anytime you want to recharge it. Such a shame – really is a great keyboard

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
domtrump, can you tell me where you saw the dinovo edge at clearance prices? I want to buy one (I leave my HTPC on 24/7).

·
Registered
465 Posts
domtrump, I have 3 diNovo Edge keyboards, and not a single one of them will turn on or off my PC when I put them in the charging cradle. What a wierd problem! This has got to be a problem that is fixable on your motherboard though--because it is your motherboard that is turning on based on something happening on a USB port.

Anyway, good luck finding a replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used wireless IR keyboards from a company called Sejin. They work fantastically. Since I use the IR versions, I have easily integrated them with my IR HT kit by placing a flasher on the Sejin IR receiver.

When I power-up my HTPC, I have keyboard keystroke macro'd into my universal remote's HTPC "ON" button. The HTPC's mobo has the POWER ON feature set in the BIOS to turn the system on with a press of a key (the number 4).

Hope this helps.

Also: the keyboard/IR receiver is fairly cheap (around $50.00).

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtrump /forum/post/12945369

I had originally bought the Logitech diNovo Edge. This is an awesome keyboard, but it has a MAJOR design flaw: Whenever you place the board in its charging cradle, your PC powers on all by itself! Any attempt to shut the PC down will result in the unit just booting right back up again. Logitech came up with a bunch of ridiculous suggestions (unplug the BT dongle or the charger when you want to shut down, keep the charger in a different room - more than 30' away, etc) but none of these are remotely practical. Logitech says they have no plans of fixing this "Wake on Bluetooth" problem.

Did you try to turn on the wake capability within the device manager for the keyboard/USB device? I had a similar problem with another mouse. Also check to see if there's any BIOS option to disable "Wake from USB" or any Wake options in the ACPI settings.

·
Registered
765 Posts
MCE keyboard. Doubles as a remote. I often find it even preferable to the remote. The pointing device takes a bit of getting used to, but it's sensitive and quite accurate. For more extreme maintenance jobs I use a wireless mouse that works across the room, or Remote Desktop Connectin from a desktop PC.

The only problem is it doesn't work before Windows starts, so if I need to work on BIOS, I have to plug in a regular USB keyboard which I have lying around.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upchuk_ise /forum/post/12945417

I have the Gyration keyboard/mouse. It's a bit pricey but works good with MCE. I really like having a mouse built into the remote, which lets me avoid going for the keyboard most of the time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823172015

You can get it here cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Gyration-Sensi...1462715&sr=8-1

for some reason the link is not working....go to amazon.com and search for the model 'GYR3101CKUS'

$139.99+8.93 shipping

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard exhibited an annoying buzzing while it was charging. My solution was to unplug the charger from the base. It's been two months since I've had to charge it and it definitely doesn't wake when I put it back on the stand because it's not charging.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtrump /forum/post/12945369

I had originally bought the Logitech diNovo Edge. This is an awesome keyboard, but it has a MAJOR design flaw: Whenever you place the board in its charging cradle, your PC powers on all by itself! Any attempt to shut the PC down will result in the unit just booting right back up again. Logitech came up with a bunch of ridiculous suggestions (unplug the BT dongle or the charger when you want to shut down, keep the charger in a different room - more than 30' away, etc) but none of these are remotely practical. Logitech says they have no plans of fixing this "Wake on Bluetooth" problem. I imagine they will simply discontinue this keyboard. (I've already seen them on Clearance or Closeout.) DON'T buy this keyboard unless you enjoy disconnecting your hardware anytime you want to recharge it. Such a shame - really is a great keyboard

Really? Mine have never ever powered my HTPC on when i placed the keyboard in the charger. Wasn't aware this was a problem
I got two friends with this keyboard also, and I know it doesn't happen for them either.

Odd..

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/12945455

I bought this radio keyboard a few weeks ago at Micro Center and like it:

http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281

I'm considering that keyboard too, I like the mouse design over the trackball/joystick variety. I'm wondering though, does it have media keys (pause, fast forward/rewind), doesn't seem to from the pics, alternatively, can you customize the f keys for these tasks on software like VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic?

TIA

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts