AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a plasma TV and could use some help sifting through the many options out there. I would appreciate any help.

Here are the details:

Willing to pay around $1300, plus/minus 300

What I want:

55” Plasma (want good viewing angle and very little motion blur, inherent of plasmas)

low input lag (for games)

great picture

smart TV with wifi would be nice but is not a must (it will have an xbox one on it)

Don’t care about:

3D

speaker/sound quality (i have a sound system)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Not much choices in the 55" range with Panasonic out of the ballgame and Samsung making 51" then straight to 60". Not sure even if LG makes a 55" plasma.

Can you go 60"?

That would give the F5300 and F5500. Or you can go to a 64" with the Samsung H5000. LG has like 2 or 3 2013 models as well in 60" I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

hmm, 60" would be cutting it pretty close. I would have to double check some measurements.

I though Panasonic was going to stop production at the end of this month? Is there no way to get one of their plasmas?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun4hire  /t/1523305/looking-for-good-plasma-tv-55-for-1300ish#post_24504167

hmm, 60" would be cutting it pretty close. I would have to double check some measurements.

I though Panasonic was going to stop production at the end of this month? Is there no way to get one of their plasmas?
They actually stopped last year. You might find a floor model or possibly open box somewhere but their are wearing thin and I have to guess 55" might even be harder to find.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Panasonic plasma are no longer possible for usa. the 5300 samsung plasma (5350 warehouse version) your only option . plasma tech is the betamax version where as vhs is the lcd version. if that makes sense.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

60" is going to be pushing it. I want to put 2 speakers on each side of the TV as well, but think it will still work.

Any specific make/models stand out to you guys as far as picture quality and/or input lag?

Also, gus738 makes me a bit nervous about plasma technology in general. Do you guys think it is dying breed? Personally, i have a hard time finding a reason to go with an LCD/LED instead. Image retention does not really scare me, and the room can be made pretty dark. Anyone have an argument?

Here is a rough 3D model of the room in case you were curious:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Of course plasma is a dying a breed but that does not mean it isn't the better technology. It is by far better then all the LEDs out right now. Better screen uniformity, better contrast levels, better black levels, and better viewing angles.

If you want to get away inexpensive, look to the LG's. If you want something a little better the Samsung F5300 or F5500 would be you only choices. If you can find some extra dough, the 60F8500 would really be your best TV to get right now and probably the best TV in general not including any OLED's that are being sold.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1523305/looking-for-good-plasma-tv-55-for-1300ish#post_24505298

Of course plasma is a dying a breed but that does not mean it isn't the better technology. It is by far better then all the LEDs out right now. Better screen uniformity, better contrast levels, better black levels, and better viewing angles.

If you want to get away inexpensive, look to the LG's. If you want something a little better the Samsung F5300 or F5500 would be you only choices. If you can find some extra dough, the 60F8500 would really be your best TV to get right now and probably the best TV in general not including any OLED's that are being sold.

Not to mention those 4k FALD LCDs with Dolby Vision HDR will cost an arm and a leg for a while, making even the F8500 a serious bargain. I would rather recommend going with the LG plasma and have it black modded before even thinking about those edge-lits.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun4hire  /t/1523305/looking-for-good-plasma-tv-55-for-1300ish#post_24545721

KOF,

What is "black modding"?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372479/lg-plasma-panel-tweaks-for-better-blacks

Check out this thread.
My modding was really a success on my previous LG PT350. I hated the stock contrast ratio. Even my previous Sony LCD had better black. After modding, it put out some seriously dynamic pictures. If I wasn't a gamer, I would have been really happy with such low cost bargain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts