AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my srround sound system I've had for years and years finally bit the dust and I'm looking for a replacement.

It doesn't necessarily have to be surround sound - my only real concern is crystal clear sound quality. I don't need a big set up or anything. The surround system system I had was amazing for sound quality (it was an old Philips system).

I thought a sound bar would be perfect, purchased a respectable one from Sony. It's alright, but not even remotely close to that crystal clear quality I'm looking for. I'm not at home so can't state the exact model. Perhaps it's just a low quality one? I'm trying to stay under $400. Any suggestions?

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
The problem with your request/question is we don't know what you have and don't have. Exactly what 'bit the dust'? The speakers? Speakers seldom go bad - its usually the electronics that bite the dust - not speakers. Soooo - what exactly are you looking for with a $400 budget?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi guys, my srround sound system I've had for years and years finally bit the dust and I'm looking for a replacement.

It doesn't necessarily have to be surround sound - my only real concern is crystal clear sound quality. I don't need a big set up or anything. The surround system system I had was amazing for sound quality (it was an old Philips system).

I thought a sound bar would be perfect, purchased a respectable one from Sony. It's alright, but not even remotely close to that crystal clear quality I'm looking for. I'm not at home so can't state the exact model. Perhaps it's just a low quality one? I'm trying to stay under $400. Any suggestions?
Id suggest you get to a fry's, best buy, or other brick store and simply listen. Even better would be a specialty shop that only sells a/v gear. Listen to low-end and high-end.

Of course, what crystal clear is is really a matter of personal preference. So be sure to listen to different speaker types. For example, I think some klipsch speakers have a horn tweeter design which differs from a dome tweeter, hence they sound different - some find the horn too bright or high-pitched and dont like that.

I just spent what felt like a gob of money ($310) on speakers - a full 7 speaker set by Pioneer from Newegg catching them on sale. Theyre the Andrew Jones set. But, I needed another $200 for a sub. I wanted full surround right now. Youve indicated that you can without the surround - way to be flexible.

Youll want to share what your listening habits are, e.g., 50-50 movie-music or some other split.

Youll also want to share what sized room yoyll be putting these in to help others suggest speakers and/or a subwoofer.

Youll also want to share whether you have a receiver to drive these speakers and which receiver it is.

What is your timeline? Can you wait for a sale? I got lucky with timing.

If you can tolerate waiting to complete your system and build it incremently, youll spend more than $400,but but youll spend that $400 now on really good towers, then save for a center (which you will have to save cuz good ones arent cheap), then save again for matching or good book shelf speakers as surrounds.

Good luck on your search. Oh, I found slickdeals.net to be valuable in finding deals and you can set alerts there, too for specific items. Also, I found sites like avs here a wealth of info on specific speaker models; Newegg often has good deals; and dont be afraid of internet direct speaker offerings that differ from the usual pioneer, sony, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts