Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I am shopping for a new DVD player to replace my Panasonic S47 prog scan. This player was recently delegated to dorm room duty. The S47 did a very nice job in 480P with my Sony 40XBR800 HDTV direct-view display - that is on film-based media. Video based (such as concert DVDs) left much to be desired. The sound of this deck also seemed one-dimentional - not much channel separation or soundstage.

Any ideas on what I should check out for around $250? (give or take). The Oppo looks good to me on paper for $199 (I have DVI input on my Sony display). Marantz 4600 is one I am also considering for an audition. I really want the best PQ and sound I can find at this price point. Should I stick with a basic component out player with a good power supply, and DACs? Is a DVI based upconversion player really that much better for PQ?

Thanks!

DJ

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
Panny S77, Panny S97, or Denon 1920.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you can find the S97... I just got the S77 instead, and so far I am very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is the sound quality. I found my panny s47 to be very shallow and one dimensional sounding - no depth of soundstage to speak of. Is the quality better in all aspects of the s77/s97 over their lower end models??

DJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have my S77 connected to an Onkyo 770 via digital coax. I have the S77 audio set to bitstream for DD and DTS.

I was very impressed with the sound quality while watching IMAX ISS decoding in DDEX. There is a launch of a Proton rocket and a piece of concrete shatters the right IMAX camera lense. I'm no audiophile, but I was very happy at the results. I am not sure how to exactly quantify the experience, but for the money I spent I noticed an improvement and am satisfied with the setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.