AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some suggestions on my projector. I purchased it new probably almost exactly a year ago (early April). It is used almost exclusively for movie watching, and the bulb has 249 hours on it currently. I keep reading about people having bulb failures and severe dimming with this model years projectors. I did not take any light measurement readings when the bulb was new, and I am not sure how much it has dimmed, if any.

My questions are:

Given my current bulb time, in a darkened (black carpet) environment, on a 125" EliteScreens 1.1 gain, 16 ft throw, what type of light output should I have (generally)?

Should I ask for a new V3 bulb from JVC, and how likely am I to get one? Given my current watching habits, this bulb could last me another year or more even with low hours.

The thing is, since I do not really get to watch too many movies, I want to ensure my picture, which looks great now, has actually dimmed on me.

Last question, being as the projector I have is the X9 "high quality parts" version, is this likely to influence the bulb dimming, meaning it may not even be an issue? Or is it 100% of the units have dimming due to a bulb manufacturing issue? If this is the case, I feel like I should get a new bulb, and have no problem giving up my old one for it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
32,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayneogeo  /t/1468570/looking-for-guidance-on-my-dla-x9#post_23211443

I am looking for some suggestions on my projector. I purchased it new probably almost exactly a year ago (early April). It is used almost exclusively for movie watching, and the bulb has 249 hours on it currently. I keep reading about people having bulb failures and severe dimming with this model years projectors. I did not take any light measurement readings when the bulb was new, and I am not sure how much it has dimmed, if any.

My questions are:

Given my current bulb time, in a darkened (black carpet) environment, on a 125" EliteScreens 1.1 gain, 16 ft throw, what type of light output should I have (generally)?

Should I ask for a new V3 bulb from JVC, and how likely am I to get one? Given my current watching habits, this bulb could last me another year or more even with low hours.

The thing is, since I do not really get to watch too many movies, I want to ensure my picture, which looks great now, has actually dimmed on me.

Last question, being as the projector I have is the X9 "high quality parts" version, is this likely to influence the bulb dimming, meaning it may not even be an issue? Or is it 100% of the units have dimming due to a bulb manufacturing issue? If this is the case, I feel like I should get a new bulb, and have no problem giving up my old one for it.

Thank you!

You have 249 hours on your lamp, the image looks fine and you have not opened up your iris. I don't think JVC would be willing to replace your lamp, since you do not have a problem, nor do I think they should replace it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1468570/looking-for-guidance-on-my-dla-x9#post_23213449

You have 249 hours on your lamp, the image looks fine and you have not opened up your iris. I don't think JVC would be willing to replace your lamp, since you do not have a problem, nor do I think they should replace it.

So my question is, given the reports from people about the dimming, is there even a POSSIBILITY that my bulb could last for say 1000 hours without dimming any more than it should? If the issue is say a 50/50 kind of thing, then yes, I agree with you that just the chance of me having a problem would not warrant a new bulb.

But, if the issue is pretty much guaranteed to happen, then even if it takes me two years to get to 500 hours, why should I be punished for infrequent usage? Maybe someone who owns an X3/X7/X9/30/50/60 can comment about how they did not have the issue?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayneogeo  /t/1468570/looking-for-guidance-on-my-dla-x9#post_23213653

So my question is, given the reports from people about the dimming, is there even a POSSIBILITY that my bulb could last for say 1000 hours without dimming any more than it should? If the issue is say a 50/50 kind of thing, then yes, I agree with you that just the chance of me having a problem would not warrant a new bulb.

But, if the issue is pretty much guaranteed to happen, then even if it takes me two years to get to 500 hours, why should I be punished for infrequent usage? Maybe someone who owns an X3/X7/X9/30/50/60 can comment about how they did not have the issue?

I went to around 500 hours with an X7 and the bulb was still running at 85% of its original brightness. It is not guaranteed to happen. Frequent on/offs, switching on again when warm etc is much more damaging to the bulb than leaving it on for 20 hours continuously. So it also depends on your usage pattern. As some of the later modifications to the bulb change the heat flow, it is probably also dependent on whether the projector is upside down or not on the ceiling and the ambient room temperature. I was fine with both my X7 and X70 with low loss, and neither had the latest bulb revision. I also put 500 hours onto the X70. The X70 had an 003 bulb but it did not have the special heat fins that were added later. In both cases my projector was mounted upside down on the ceiling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt  /t/1468570/looking-for-guidance-on-my-dla-x9#post_23213780

I went to around 500 hours with an X7 and the bulb was still running at 85% of its original brightness. It is not guaranteed to happen. Frequent on/offs, switching on again when warm etc is much more damaging to the bulb than leaving it on for 20 hours continuously. So it also depends on your usage pattern. As some of the later modifications to the bulb change the heat flow, it is probably also dependent on whether the projector is upside down or not on the ceiling and the ambient room temperature. I was fine with both my X7 and X70 with low loss, and neither had the latest bulb revision. I also put 500 hours onto the X70. The X70 had an 003 bulb but it did not have the special heat fins that were added later. In both cases my projector was mounted upside down on the ceiling.

Thanks for the information. My projector is mounted from the ceiling right side up, on a hanging shelf. The ambient temps are good, as it is in my basement. If I could get to 500 hours and have 85%, I would not be complaining. My usage is often on for 2-3 hours, once or twice a week.

I am probably just go to go with this bulb for at least another year, then get whatever the newest design is at that point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts