AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Our new house got constructed and I'm planning to build a home theater in the basement. My intention was always to build a decent size dedicated home theater in our basement that can accommodate our large family. Since we went with a big national builder, I could not get my desired dimensions.

I have 13' x 40' unfinished space with 3 sides concrete. The unfinished ceiling height is 8'10''. I understand I would have to lose some more space for studs & drywalls, especially for sound proofing the room.

I took a stab at designing the home theater. I plan to primarily use the space for 80/20 - Movies/Music.
I'm looking for your suggestions on what I might be missing or if it can be planned in a better way.

Needs
i) Audio & Video quality: highest priority (9/10)
ii) Screen size (I want to get at least 150" 16:9 format): high priority (8/10)
iii) Seating capacity - at least 10-12: high priority (7/10)
iv) Sound proof (it's in basement): Medium priority (6/10)
v) Budget - not that concerned as long as it's good value (4/10)

Questions:
i) seating layout - far too many? Can I pull it off or do you guys see any issues?
I can live without last row of bar seating.

ii) Does this room size benefit from 9.4.6 or can I get by 7.4.4 or 7.4.6? Does Forward wide channels add any benefit?
I know there isn't much content using those channels. I can wire it for now and level it.

iii) I'm planning to build 4 Full martys with 21 inch Lavolce drivers

iv) I have Polk LSiM 707 and Center channel and 3 pairs of LSiM 702 F/X for FW, side & rear surronds
Are these good enough? I want to go DIY route with Titan LX for LCR channels eventually when I have time to build them.
Will there be huge benefit if I go with Titans from the beginning?

v) Should I buy a 16 channel processor like HTP-1 or just use Denon's 2020 models and live with 7.4.4 setup for now until they 16 channel's become more mature?

vi) Atmos - I'm planning to with Micca (or others?) for Atmos. Does the ceiling atmos placement look good?

vii) Seating distance - Distance b/w AT screen and 1st row eyes will be 12'.
Is it too close for 150" 16:9 4K?
I've read it's personal (immersive vs uncomfortable), but is there a general consensus in this forum?

viii) Seating layout - Planning to go with Valencia Tuscany models.
Since room width will be limiting factor, if I go with |0000| setup, it'll be 108" (9') wide.

1st row: |0000|
2nd row: |0000|
3rd row: |0000|

If the drywall & sound proofing will take about 1 feet, it'll reduce the room width to 12 feet.
This will leave about 1.5 feet for aisle on either side of the seating.

Or should I go with
1: |000| - 7 feet wide
2: |0000|
3: |0000|

ix) Risers - I plan to have 8" riser for 2nd row and another 8" (8+8 =16") for 3rd row & bar seating.
Does they have to be higher?

x) AT Screen - Planning to go with Elunevision nanoedge. Any downsides or better alternatives?
elunevision dot com/audioweave-4k/nanoedge/

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,828 Posts
Your theater plan is for a nice 6 seat theater the first two rows. The rest will not live up to your audio/video goals. That rear Atmos is placed too far to the back for the prime rows. And the rear surrounds are not even going to be a factor. You show reclining seat placement and row to row spacing of 6 ft. it needs to be 6 1/2 ft to avoid kicking the row in front of you. You could use classic theater seating in 4 to 4 1/2 ft rows and fit 4 seats per row in a 13 ft wide room

https://www.htmarket.com/home-theater-furniture-home-theater-seating-home-movie-theater-seating.html

place the seat backs at 12, 16 1/2 and 21 ft from the screen, build a rear wall at 24 ft and use the remaining 14x13 area as a snack bar annex or something else. (assumes 2 ft screen wall)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your theater plan is for a nice 6 seat theater the first two rows. The rest will not live up to your audio/video goals. That rear Atmos is placed too far to the back for the prime rows. And the rear surrounds are not even going to be a factor. You show reclining seat placement and row to row spacing of 6 ft. it needs to be 6 1/2 ft to avoid kicking the row in front of you. You could use classic theater seating in 4 to 4 1/2 ft rows and fit 4 seats per row in a 13 ft wide room

place the seat backs at 12, 16 1/2 and 21 ft from the screen, build a rear wall at 24 ft and use the remaining 14x13 area as a snack bar annex or something else. (assumes 2 ft screen wall)
Thanks for your prompt response Jeff. I see your point that rear atmos & rear surrounds might not be impactful to the front row seats.
But how can we accomplish or setup the speakers to make sure that the audio is effective for most of the seats across the rows?

If I still want the theater to be 30 feet long with 3 rows of seats (i'll forgo the bar seating row), would choosing other (better) surround speakers and/or atmos help remediate this issue? How to larger theaters solve this problem?

Thanks!
Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts