AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the general desire around here is to get the panel that provides the best PQ, etc. etc. but I'm more interested in non-picture related features and would appreciate some direction to start my investigations.

I'm looking for a 50"-55" sized TV in the $600-$800 range. I don't need a "Smart" TV.

I would like to know of brands/models that support *dedicated* IR codes for both "power on" and "power off". In addition, I am looking for a unit that supports *dedicated* IR codes for switching each input. Finally, I would like to have 2 ch analog audio output (for plugging into an older AVR) support for all inputs (ie, decoding of digital audio streams and output as 2 ch analog audio.)

As this stuff is rarely mentioned in any product literature, I would appreciate it if anyone has info on these subjects to get me started in my research.

-Suntan

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan  /t/1520967/looking-for-guidance-on-tv-features-not-pq/0_60#post_24438355

I know the general desire around here is to get the panel that provides the best PQ, etc. etc. but I'm more interested in non-picture related features and would appreciate some direction to start my investigations.

I'm looking for a 50"-55" sized TV in the $600-$800 range. I don't need a "Smart" TV.

I would like to know of brands/models that support *dedicated* IR codes for both "power on" and "power off". In addition, I am looking for a unit that supports *dedicated* IR codes for switching each input. Finally, I would like to have 2 ch analog audio output (for plugging into an older AVR) support for all inputs (ie, decoding of digital audio streams and output as 2 ch analog audio.)

As this stuff is rarely mentioned in any product literature, I would appreciate it if anyone has info on these subjects to get me started in my research.

-Suntan

The dedicated IR on/off is a complaint I've bumped into from time to time.  I know of no way of discovering whether or not a TV supports it without actually diving directly into an owner's thread.  :-/

I wouldn't worry about the 2 channel analog output too awfully much: I don't think I've seen a TV without it...you'll at the very least have a headphone jack or something.  Once in a while I'll hear of a TV that supports only S/PDIF optical out, but then something like this:

Orei DA21 Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter with 3.5mm Jack Support Headphone/Speaker... by Orei $25.99

is cheap and (apparently) works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts