AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an Omni IIe in my home. All of the very important parts; Console, Termostat, Wireless Zones(no hardwired zones) and Sounders are working well. I have two issues and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1st problem; I can not connect to the unit via Ethernet. I have the dealer software. I have enabled PC access and set the access code. When I try and connect via the software it says the controller has refused the connection. I can ping the unit from my PC and my port scanner says that the default port is open. I have double and tripple checked my firewall and port forwarding and they are correct. Is there something simple that I am overlooking?

2nd problem; The controller is supposed to be set by default to communicate with UPB device on serial port 3, the port is currently set for Pro-Link and UPB isnt even an option. The only options available are Omni-Link, Pro-Link and HAI Hi-Fi.

These are the last two things I need out of the controller. I need the Ethernet to work to connect to my Crestron controller and the UPB obviously for lighting. I don't mind calling HAI if necessary, I just know its usually faster to ask on the forums first!

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: The ethernet is working. I had a routing problem on my local network. I overlooked a setting in one of my routers. UPB is still a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: It seems via the PC Software I can configure the serial port for UPB. The Console will not give me the option. I'm going to install a light switch, try to configure it and see if it actually works.

As always input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: So far no joy with the UPB. I cant get the console to setup the devices. I want to try the UpStart sofware to get the devices configured. This uses a RJ to DB9 adapter. Does anyone know the pinout? I have lots of these laying around so making one will be a snap.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
To configure a HAI UPB switch from a console:

1.) Make sure serial port is setup correctly

2.) Make sure house code is configured to UPB or HLC

3.) Press the top part of the switch 5 times in quick succession.

4.) From main menu, hit 6 (status). enter unit number, hit "#" to enter, then "#" to configure.

Aaron

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply Aaron,

I am to the point where I need to call HAI on Monday. The console will not do anything for configuring the lights. It wont give me the UPB option on the serial port. The dealer PC software lets me configure the port, then i tried the steps above out of the owners manual and absolutely nothing happens.

This weekend Im going to configure all of the lights with the UPStart software to make sure all of those devices are working correctly. If they are all good, its a call to HAI on Monday.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same problem with UPB,

I been using SimplyBriliant UPB switches so decided to use UPB controller from them too. Made cross cable for RS232 but still did not work. Called HAI and they told me it will only work with their original UPB RS232 interface, when unit came everything start working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keel,

To setup the serial port, are you sure you are doing this..

1.) hit "9", then enter your installer code

2.) hit "#" for installer settings

3.) hit "7" for exp

4.) scroll down PAST the module stuff. you'll see "serial port 1 baud rate", scroll down till you see "serial port 3"

5.) change this to UPB

Aaron

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, those are the steps I am taking, there is NO option for UPB. The unit is only giving me three options to choose from Pro-Link, Omni-Link and HAI Hi-Fi.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As it turns out, re-flashing the firmware fixed the problem. I now have the option of using the UPB. First try configuring a device is a failure... NO DEVICE DETECTED arghhhhhh.

I do not have a phase coupler. Im going to find a switch on the same phase as the controller and see if I can get that to work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have the UPB power line interface plugged directly into an outlet and not a power bar or serge protector?

Phase coupler is a must!

A few other things to check as well:

In Setup>>Names>>Units

all desired units must be named and the first unit of each room "must" be named, whether a Scene Switch is installed or not.

In Setup>>Miscellaneous

House Code set to UPB or HAI Lighting

In Setup>>Installer>>Control

Network ID and Password set properly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts