AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does, anybody have or know where I can buy a used 40g hard drive in good working order for my dwd490re with the 3.5 os on it.

TAZMann

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Tazmann,

I have a brand new Seagate 40GB hard drive I just took out of my new RCA Ultimate TV which I bought 15 day ago.

I upgraded yesterday to an IBM 120GB hard drive.

I don't know if it has the 3.5? But it should download the latest version of 3.5 or maybe even 3.7 (if you have a P4 card) when you start the unit up again.

If you would like to buy my Seagate 40GB hard drive I can post it for you at www.half.com for $60.00+ shipping.

Just let me know when!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Even if someone has a 40 gig drive with 3.5 on it, if you put it into another utv it will not have the right password and should immediately try to reformat it and download the software over the phone (same as if you put in a larger drive).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My hard drive is hooped. I was hoping that I could just swap it out with an already formatted one. I live is Can. and am finding it impossible to dial out to update my current one. I guess seeing as that password thing is going to screw me up anyhow.

Well utv was good while it lasted

:(

TAZMann

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Have you tried a friends house to dial in? That may be the answer for you. Also, if you unplug the cord while it is attempting a connection it will try again with another number.

If you're getting rid of it, were both tuners working? If you're ditching the unit, there may be others that have tuner problems that may be willing to swap a new drive in and make use of it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TAZMann
My hard drive is hooped. I was hoping that I could just swap it out with an already formatted one.
The very first thing the UTV will do upon seeing a foreign drive is reformat it. So yes, you can install a "already formatted" drive ... but you will lose any information on the drive.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

There are ways for non-US UTV owners to dial in for an update...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasJames
The very first thing the UTV will do upon seeing a foreign drive is reformat it. So yes, you can install a "already formatted" drive ... but you will lose any information on the drive.
I'm not sure this is true. I believe it only reformats drives that have been used in a UTV already but are not the current drive.

Clip

·
Registered
592 Posts
I read that to be the scenario he was in -- "I was hoping that I could just swap it out with an already formatted one." I thought he meant "already formatted" to mean a UTV formatted drive. Yes, an assumption on my part. :cool:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgodavid
Hi,

There are ways for non-US UTV owners to dial in for an update...
The method is discussed elsewhere on this forum. Basicly... since WebTV/MSNTV wants to confirm you're in the US downloading the OS Software you'll need to call MSNTV from a US #... If you use a calling card to route your call (from a US #) you'll be able to download the update...

You'll need a clean phone connection AND you'll probably spend some money... but it can be done. Do a search for it on the forum.

Later,

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tazmann... I have printed a "how to" (in MS word format) on how to DL from Canada.

It is my version of IammenotyoU's instuctions... I couldn't figure out, from his instructions, how to let the download happen and stay hooked up through the calling card access... so I made my own way.

So all credit goes to him, or who ever was first to come up with this method.

If you want it PM me your email

·
Registered
70 Posts
you can't stay hooked up with the calling card access...that's why she (iammenotyou) specifically says to get a good longdistance plan for your home phone which will be billed for the 104 mins of downloading...just have to read the instructions a few times it's not that hard I successfully downloaded the OS while in CAN with her instructions...only problem is the MS number took a while before it found one that it liked and finally connected to...just had to unplug a few times and let it dial a new local number (as NetworkTV mentioned previously in this thread)

goodluck with the download TAZMann...takes some time to get it to work but you can do it don't give up.

rawk.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rawk-us... that's why I re-wrote his intructions so you CAN STAY ON THE CALLING CARD. That way you don't need a longdistance plan and CogniCall is .13/min 24/7.

And the UTV does all the dialing for you...

Whoops.... I guess he is a she... sorry

·
Registered
311 Posts
Get out!...

Well don't I look stupid.

When I did iammenotyou's method, I never actually let it hook up to the access numbers (after it dialed the 1 800).

Because (this was the part I could never figure out in her method), doesn't the access number it dial's see you have a Canadian number, like when the UTV dials the 1800, and then give's the "Your from Canada speech..You can't connect".

I've done the download, my way, paying .13/min through CogniCall about 10 times now....DOH!!

Taz and Jabba... don't do it my way... looks like it will cost twice plus as much.

I will just repost Iammenotyou's method... and ya'all can check it out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted byy Iammenotyou

UTV Upgrade in Canada

For all those who were fretting and haven't seen a clear yes/no, YES it can be done! And here are here is a relatively detailed explanation on how.

MS a while ago enabled caller ID checking...Ok, if your in Canada, it just tells you service is unavailable here.

So let's get around that.....(Just a warning you may wish to have a person help you with step 5-12, although it can be done by yourself just alot of running around the room)

1. First, make sure you have a pretty good long distance rate to the US, primus is I believe 10cents a min all day long.

2. Well extreme thanks to compking here on the avsforum who found CogniCall you can sign up for a US long distance calling card and have it charged monthly to your credit card. Sign up over the net or call their 1800 number....Takes about 20 mins. They charge 13.9cents/USD/minute to call to the US, but the whole call you need to make with it is

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is this thread a violation of the DMCA? I mean, you're talking about accessing copyrighted content by getting around access controls. Sounds illegal.

Clip

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.