AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
There's a good reason why you haven't found what youre looking for. This is because no matter what you do, you're going to have to convert to uncompressed analog, then recompress again; which the Hauppuage product does a reasonably good job; the best product as far as I know for what it does.

The main problem is that you dont have access to the original audio/video stream that your DirecTV box has; so, you have no choice but to grab it from the analog component out of your DirecTV box; then to recompress it back. Even if you compress at the same bit rate as the original recording or even less compression, it's still going to look a bit soft; especially on a good large 1080p LCD TV.

If you had cable HDTV or Satellite DishNetwork, you could can have access to the original picture quality; in fact, its the same mpeg4/mpeg2 file that they send originally to your box using the R5000 addon . I have always had Comcast cable; so it was a no-brainer for me.. the choice betwen soft video or untouched, original quality video, full digital 5.1 audio. However, R5000 price is out of budget for most people; and not that easy to setup as an Hauppauge HD-PVR; plus other hurdles to come accross; however, once its setup, there's nothing that can be compared to it. If you're stuck with DirecTV, then you have no choice but to see that softness or just dont record it. Sorry, I dont have better news for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 /forum/post/17011515

I tried the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 with good success capturing HD with my Directv HR -20 DVR. I want to capture HD in native format in TS or mpeg2 at full bitrate with 5.1 audio capability. H264 is too soft looking, not real HD but just a compromise.

I am looking for a capture card the will capure HD formats including 5.1 surround. I do not have cable so a tuner card is out. Can you combine digital audio from a sound card with HD video from an hd capture card.

Any suggestons?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts