AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been looking everywhere for a double gang wallplate that combines either

a power outlet + HDMI port

-or-

a power outlet + keystone type connections

I found the following, but it is out of stock everywhere. Has anyone ever come across this kind of thing?

TIA

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Just use decora inserts for the LV, and a decora outlet, slap a 2-gang decora plate on it. You need two separate boxes joined or a divider for this to be legal though. they also make high-voltage/low voltage divided boxes for this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. So you think the following monoprice hdmi adapter will fit behind one of the decora plate openings in a standard 2-gang box? I suppose it should...

·
Registered
203 Posts
What about something like this http://www.datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=430

I like to use these for two reasons 1 - less connections means less potential for errors and less troubleshooting in case of error 2 - there is no need to worry about seperating power from low voltage as the low voltage side you just cut in beside your box and it has ears that flip up and secure to the inside of the drywall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincondor /forum/post/15543113

What about something like this http://www.datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=430

I like to use these for two reasons 1 - less connections means less potential for errors and less troubleshooting in case of error 2 - there is no need to worry about seperating power from low voltage as the low voltage side you just cut in beside your box and it has ears that flip up and secure to the inside of the drywall.

I saw this and was thinking about ordering it from Monoprice, but I like the idea of having an outlet at the wall for both HDMI and power. This way, if I need to get to the cable for whatever reason, I don't have to worry about it falling in/being pulled out from the other end. Also, the outlet allows me to have a fixed cable inside the wall and getting whatever length cables I need to run to the TV and to the Boxes as opposed to 1 very long cable, the length of which is difficult to predict at this point.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
So you think the following monoprice hdmi adapter will fit behind one of the decora plate openings in a standard 2-gang box?

No, you didn't read what I said completely. You cannot use a standard 2-gang box. You need a divider box, or a box with an insert wall, or a special LV/HV box. You cannot have low and high voltage in the same box. It is illegal. You might not care and stick a regular 2-gang in there anyway, but it's not code.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Powermax sells some boxes that have an AC outlet on on side and accept Keystone jacks on the other side.

Our local Lowe's stocks the dividers that you can add to 4x4 plastic boxes so you can have an AC outlet on one side and low voltage connections on the other side. The plastic divider costs something like 50 cents. Our local Home Depot stores don't carry the dividers, just Lowe's.

Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts