AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using the Denon AH-D600's, and loved them. The step up from my Bose Quiet Comfort 15's was amazing and absolutely worth the upgrade. I now have the bug, and despite really enjoying the Denons, I'm interested in trying out some more.

My listening is fairly general - a lot of classical, but a decent amount of rock (ie - Fleetwood mac, Mumford and Sons) and vocal (ie - Nora Jones). Pretty much entirely from home/desk/chair, so portability is not a major concern. I had been concerned with keeping them closed back, but that is not a huge issue as generally the point is to be able to listen to them loud when everyone is upstairs asleep, not in the same room.

Equipment is a Schiit DAC feeding Arcam A28 amp. 95% of sources either Apple TV or high quality files direct from my macbook pro.

Price range I am considering is the sub $1000 mark. I am interested in Senn HD700, Oppo PM-2, HiFi Man HE-560 and so on. What I am looking for is any additional suggestions in this range/quality and a heads up if you think these phones will not get driven properly with my current setup. I am thinking about the Oppo HA-1, but that will be a few years down the line, and I want to have the headphones to justify the purchase first.

Also, I would like suggestions on ways of demoing these headphones. I am in Charlottesville, VA and pretty much no one carries a decent selection of high-end headphones. Crutchfield has some, but their general staff knowledge and listening environment aren't great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi-Fi Man HE-6 probably would be a good choice, because it seems your Amp has the power to drive these headphones.
I had the Denon AH-D800 but sold them because imo the Hi-Fi Man HE-6 was better all the way around.

Here is the thing, when you start to really get into headphones don't buy because of price. What happens is you keep upgrading and spend a lot more in the end that if you got some really good headphones, amp, dac in the beginning.

You may even what to take a look at the STAX amp and headphones. I have a STAX SRM 727 amp and the SR 009 headphones.
However I kept my HE-6's as a back up, there that good.

ss

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi-Fi Man HE-6 probably would be a good choice, because it seems your Amp has the power to drive these headphones.
I had the Denon AH-D800 but sold them because imo the Hi-Fi Man HE-6 was better all the way around.

Here is the thing, when you start to really get into headphones don't buy because of price. What happens is you keep upgrading and spend a lot more in the end that if you got some really good headphones, amp, dac in the beginning.

You may even what to take a look at the STAX amp and headphones. I have a STAX SRM 727 amp and the SR 009 headphones.
However I kept my HE-6's as a back up, there that good.

ss
Thanks for your advice, and your point is well-taken. Of course, I feel like I will always be able to justify a few more bucks on audio gear, and I need to draw my line somewhere. If only I could figure out how to audition these in an appropriate environment - I might be convinced to double my investment. (My wife shudders and my wallet screams in agony.)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks for your advice, and your point is well-taken. Of course, I feel like I will always be able to justify a few more bucks on audio gear, and I need to draw my line somewhere. If only I could figure out how to audition these in an appropriate environment - I might be convinced to double my investment. (My wife shudders and my wallet screams in agony.)
If you live near this event you may want to go there.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-h...9-westin-south-coast-plaza-costa-mesa-ca.html

ss

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to post a little bit of a retraction. I went in to Crutchfield the other day and found that they had switched up their headphone try-out systems a bit. I was able to audition a few different headphones off of a nice marantz DAC/Amp, next to my Denon AH-D600's, and it was a very easy process. The store is still loud and the selection of high-end headphones on display was limited, but they offered to bring anything they had in stock for me to try out (limited to a couple items, they are understandably reluctant to open a lot of new equipment.) So, points to Crutchfield, on that. I hope they will invest in a few more high end phones on display.

Result is I am going to try out the Sennheiser HD 650. Aside from it clearly being one of the kings among reviewers, the price point and really great sound are hard to beat. I really liked the open back element, and I think it added a lot to the sound/experience. They also seem MUCH more comfortable for longer listening sessions, just because the are lighter and the foam/open cups are less hot. Overall it was not a HUGE upgrade in sound quality, but a moderate one. It's the combination of comfort and new toy, for limited cost, that tips the scale.

After breaking them in off my current equipment I will try out some dedicated HP amps to see what they do. Given my really great Schiit experience, I think I'm going to start with the Asgard 2.

Maybe I bought myself a year or two before I'm back looking at the HD 800/HE-6 level. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts