Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody!

Im looking to upgrade my old RCA32" Tube and start building a new home theater. First will of course be the TV. listed Below are all the facts I could think of to help you guys help us. I have Small children that use the system as well and burn-in is a concern. I was told LCD is the way to go and plasma was a no-no?? The new Sony has a built -in HDTV tuner what would that do for us? DVI inputs as well as universal inputs sound like they are required...true?

1. We have DTV Sat only...Older RCA Unit.

2. We watch a fair amount of DVDs

3. PS2 As much as possible Everyday.

4. Space is not really a problem. From sitting to wall about 13'

5. I dont know if we could receive HDTV signal through air.

6.$ 5000. To start with

7. What would the $600. Sony HDTV SAT receiver do for us...and for how long.

8.I would like to see a great picture when watching DVDs, will buy a new DVD player. Would like the best pic possible for sat tv at least most of the time. Will settle for Playable on older games and would hope some new games will be great.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ok, here's the first piece of advice. Put the kids and wife in bed one night, grab a tall cup of coffee, get comfy and get ready to do some reading. There is a plethora of information to be had here on every question you asked, but there's definately some digging involved. Here's some starter stuff for you:

With DirecTV, the build in HDTV tuner does nothing unless you can get HD signals through the air.

Burn-in is a concern on Plasmas, but not as much as you'd think. A small amount of education is the key there.

LCD vs Plasma will depend in part on how large of a screen you're looking for.

With the budget, you could land a good 42" HD (or ED and save a couple grand) plasma, or a 30something inch LCD. Popular belief around here is that the larger LCDs have a little catching up to do yet.

Given the size of your room, and the factors involved, you might also want to consider starting out with Front Projection (if the room can be darkened well enough) as you can get a good setup for a small budget, have a nice immersive display to work with, and not worry about burnin.

Again, plan a long night of surfing and you'll find more answers than you could ever want. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moebius,

Thank you for your reply and I will do more reading, but for the new guy all this info gets a bit confusing and its hard to know even where to start. Thats why I thought I would try to ask someone straight out like your self.

I dont know how dark I can get the room and this TV would be used for everyday veiwing as well if that matters. I know i want(i think) the dvi input. I do not want to change cords for using the different formats like was mentioned by someone under gaming. I do not want a several thousand dollar FP burn in by the kids. I was kind of looking at sonys 50 610 or the 60 990 LCD units. No particular reason just looking. Dont want to make a bad decision either. I was told that the DVD units with DVI out really look great. That would be great to have exceptional dvd playing also the Sony HTDV Sat Reciever coupled with the new tv would i hope look great. Anyway thanks for the help and I will keep digging. Thanks Again

The LeDoux Family

·
Registered
698 Posts
You're on the right track.The sony hdtv receiver will give you one of the best dtv pictures out there.Sony is coming out with a new unit real quick here.I think its called sat hd300(I think...check out the hdtv forum).I'd stay away from sony plasmas....too expensive and pic quality is so so.With Your budget of $5000 I'd take a look at the panny ed and hd plasmas.They both have a great picture.The ed version plays dvd's better.The hd version does a better job with hdtv(dvd's still look great too).I believe the consumer model has a built in tuner.You don't need this since your going to get a hdtv stb.If I were you,I'd get the panasonic pwd6uy commercial model.This can be had online for between 3k-3.5k.Even cheaper if you get dell on a sale day.Check out gotapex.com for dell coupons on monitors.Sometimes dell does 15% of monitors and you can use a 10% stackable coupon.25% off their low prices and free shipping and 30 day no questions asked return policy(they pay shipping).ITs a great deal if you catch them on the right day.Check gotapex every day.Usually dell has monitor sales for one day only.You can also buy stackable dell coupons on ebay for like $5.This $5 coupon could save you hundreds of dollars. good luck!!!!Any questions just ask. bm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very BM!! I'll check that out.

PS What about burn in with the plasmas ? Also There is talk of people being able to repair burn in by going to grey screen???

Thanks again!

The LeDoux Family

·
Registered
698 Posts
Burn in is not really a problem anymore.There's a few things you can do to prevent it.Check out the faq sticky on the top of the forum page.good luck bm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.