AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a new TV for my living room (16'x14' probably, small apartment).

1. I would mostly use it for gaming and occasionally watching movies/anime.

2. The TV being smart would not be a necessity, but if it's there, I won't complain.

3. I would mostly use it at night (80% night time, 20% day time), but during the day the room is pretty bright.

4. I sit at about 5' to 6' from the TV, which is why I was considering something from 47'' to 55''.

5. My budget would be 1,000, but if there is significant improvement, I could probably go over that.

I was inclined to get a Panasonic ST60, but after reading about the input lag issue I got turned off from it (and also Best Buy screwed me over with a deal). I am currently looking at the Vizio M series, but I am reading mixed reviews from all over the place. I am trying to post here in hopes that I can find someone who might use their TV for purposes which I want to use mine and see if they can give me some input. I am really interested in making the most out of the beautiful color palettes in the Wii U games.

I will appreciate any help I can get on this. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you have the coin ($1700), the Sony KDL-55W900A is an easy recommend. CNET voted it the best LCD in 2013 and the 18ms lag time is a gamer's delight. If you can wait, the 2014 Vizio models with FALD technology might offer what you're looking for.

I didn't include plasma because of IR and BI issues with fixed images encountered in gaming.

·
Registered
14,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKeroCola  /t/1521111/looking-for-help-in-choosing-a-tv#post_24451833

Until when should I have to wait? I heard May, is that correct?

E is already out (55" for $650)

M is expected out in May (55" for $900)

P (4K) is expected in August (50" for $1000, 55" for $1300)

4K for a 50" or even 55" set would generally be considered overkill, but with you sitting as close as you do while gaming, you might benefit from the higher resolution. And in any case, the P has double the local dimming zones of the M and should have both better dark-contrast performance as well as reduced motion blur...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I use my plasma for 99% of gaming and IR/BI are the last thing I would get pissed about. I once did 4:3 gaming non-stop for a straight week and I didn't even use screen wiper before any IRs wiped away in a few minutes. Really happy I chose Panasonic S60 as my gaming display. I consider it a tremendous upgrade in PQ over the Sony LCD I've used. (and I didn't even mention its vastly superior motion performance over LCDs yet)

To the OP, if making your Wii U "POP" is your absolute priority, give Samsung F4500 plasma a serious look. The F4500 should destroy any LCDs when it comes to pop. I should know. I used to have a Sony LCD (genuine S-PVA), and even my relatively dim Panasonic S60 is actually winning in 'pop' game in many games. 0.004 fL of great black coupled with almost 160 cd/m2 of brightness in 20% ABL means awesome contrast ratio. (Just make sure to get the 51 inch one for maximum ABL handling) Sure, its only downer is its rather crappy resolution, but don't be put off, I personally find 720p plasmas rather kind with scaling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts